Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Help please! Axolotl's tail covered in cobwebs not eating

GageOtic

Reaction score
I posted a week ago about this and after contacting the breeder I got him from. She said she thought it was fungus in a late stage, she told me to put him in a methylene blue bath, with daily water changes, and salt baths until I see improvement. That's why one photo is blue. His tail and little of his body is covered in what almost looks like cobwebs, I can't tell if it looks fuzzy. It might be slightly raised. water conditions are
Ammonia is 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate is 35 ppm
I thought I'd want a second opinion. I don't know if she is right about it being a fungus seeing his gills look fine, and that it doesn't look like a normal fungus. I almost thing it's something to do with his skin. Just wanted to know what you all thought. He won't eat and I'm worried about him. Also strange scabs on body (circled) She said that it is where fungus was and in now gone. it has been a little more than a week of treatment and nothing... :(
album.php

album.php

album.php

GageOtic

Reaction score
Can u take clearer pics without a flash?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

It is hard to see on camera since i keep the tank dark for less stress.I used a flashlight not aimed directly at him to see if it would be better. He also has what look like small holes on his body that I am also worried about. You can see those in the third photo.

Attachments

• IMG-2148.JPG
    IMG-2148.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG-2149.JPG
    IMG-2149.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG-2150.jpg
    IMG-2150.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 165
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1