My new baby Axl

Justtiffy

Reaction score
Country
United States
My girls and I just took on the endeavor of caring for a juvenile axis!!! We love him!!! But I have some major concerns about feeding and ammonia levels. We’ve been using frozen blood worms but they go all over!!! I don’t know if it’s good to vacuum daily but I’m worried about the worms just staying in the tank.... any suggestions?? What else can we feed him?? Also I am hyper focusing on temperature also and I simply can’t afford a chiller. I bought a fan ( via internet cause I found NOTHING local) but it came in broken so I’m waiting for a second to come in. Again any ideas?? Thanks for the help in advance!!!!

Welcome! First of all make sure you have a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. This way you can monitor the levels and do water changes accordingly. Did you cycle the tank before getting the axolotl?
How big is your axolotl? You may be able to start feeding worms, cut up into bits smaller than his head. It's less messy and really good for them. When I feed bloodworms I always move my axie into a separate container to control the waste. It may be stressful to do this every day, however. I only do it about once a week (he usually eats worms) so he is out while I do a water change. Alternatively you can use an old clean jar (like a pasta or jam jar). You put the cube of worms in (frozen) and as they melt they sink. Lead the axie into the jar and they usually are able to eat them up. To clean you just carefully take the jar out :)

Thanks for the help. I did cycle the tank and he’s not tiny... he’s like 5 inches...I just feel like worms or something larger would be better... I could take the uneaten out easier. And not have to worry so much about ammonia.

Absolutely you can move to big worms then! Any of the nightcrawlers are fine, whatever is easier for you to get :)

Welcome! First of all make sure you have a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. This way you can monitor the levels and do water changes accordingly. Did you cycle the tank before getting the axolotl?
How big is your axolotl? You may be able to start feeding worms, cut up into bits smaller than his head. It's less messy and really good for them. When I feed bloodworms I always move my axie into a separate container to control the waste. It may be stressful to do this every day, however. I only do it about once a week (he usually eats worms) so he is out while I do a water change. Alternatively you can use an old clean jar (like a pasta or jam jar). You put the cube of worms in (frozen) and as they melt they sink. Lead the axie into the jar and they usually are able to eat them up. To clean you just carefully take the jar out :)

Wonderful advice. My axies are about 5 inches as well and I am about to make a change from bloodworms to earthworms. One of my axies has a more narrow mouth and would not have been able to manage larger worms until very recently. The bloodworms sure can be a bit messy!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back