Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Cleaning Enclosures

HendersonA

Reaction score
I am very early on in the decision making process of getting a salamander - just thinking about it without too much research at this point (feel free to recommend any books if you have any). I was wondering if anyone with salamanders does anything to disinfect waste water after cleaning? I heard that you should of it because of disease but I wasn't sure if it is common practice/worth the hassle. What about when you first get an amphibian, should you treat it just in case?

Thank you!

MisterWayne

Reaction score
I normally do a water change every morning. I only use spring water. I use a turkey baster (make sure its clean) to remove the soiled water and either dump it down my sink or just dump it outside (depending on how full your water dish is sometimes its a pain to a remove a full water dish from cage without spilling soiled water everywhere, that's why i siphon the old water out first.). I have never disinfect waste water. I have been keeping amphibians for 25 years. Just make sure you don't drink the dirty water :). If you are really worried you can always clean out your sink each time too. Hope this helps.

HendersonA

Reaction score
I normally do a water change every morning. I only use spring water. I use a turkey baster (make sure its clean) to remove the soiled water and either dump it down my sink or just dump it outside (depending on how full your water dish is sometimes its a pain to a remove a full water dish from cage without spilling soiled water everywhere, that's why i siphon the old water out first.). I have never disinfect waste water. I have been keeping amphibians for 25 years. Just make sure you don't drink the dirty water :). If you are really worried you can always clean out your sink each time too. Hope this helps.

Okay, good to know. I think the disinfection of the waste water is for the fungal pathogens some amphibians can carry and not regarding human consumption but I'll try not to drink it either way :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!