Hello from an old newt lover.

Tompa

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I,m in NE England and first began keeping native newts and amphibians nearly 60 years ago. I also like reptiles and have one or two. My current collection is 6x Kaiser newts, 6x aquatic Chinese Firebellies + 1 terrestrial CFB, 1x huge Tiger salamander, 3x Montadons newts, I Fire salamander, 2x Marbled newts, 3x Japanese Firebellies, 1 Crocodile newt, 1 Paddletail newt, 4x Alpine newts. I also have a pond full of fish, 4x Firebellied toads, Slow worms, a Bearded dragon, a Giant madagascan day gecko and a Lurcher dog.
As you can guess a lot of my spare time is spent digging worms and cleaning vivs.
Happy newting, Jim.

Welcome to the forum! I'm curious, do you keep your terrestial CFN in a separate, terrestial tank or is it staying on a cork bar in the aquatic tank? How long has it chosen to be terrestial?
Greetings from Finland :)

Welcome. I'd love to keep more newts but truth be told, I don't love doing water changes on multiple tanks. Two-three tanks seem to be my limit, and I already have two -- one newt tank and one 10 gallon betta tank.

Welcome to the forum! I'm curious, do you keep your terrestial CFN in a separate, terrestial tank or is it staying on a cork bar in the aquatic tank? How long has it chosen to be terrestial?
Greetings from Finland :)

The terrestrial newt came with several others but seemed to dislike water from day one and would not leave the haul out even for food. I decided to try gently lowering it into the water but each time it would thrash around on the surface until it bumped into the haul out and climbed on. I have had it a few years and recently tried it with the aquatics again but as usual it would not swim. It lives on its own in a damp viv with a small soak dish but no swimming water. It eats small gut loaded crickets and small earthworms and hunts accurately like a lizard. It has developed a drier wartier skin over time and a more solid head/jaw. Long winded reply but I think that sums him up.
This newt told me what it needed by its behaviour so I tried to provide that. I,ve always tried to work that way with my amphibians/reptiles.
Cheers, Jim.

Welcome. I'd love to keep more newts but truth be told, I don't love doing water changes on multiple tanks. Two-three tanks seem to be my limit, and I already have two -- one newt tank and one 10 gallon betta tank.

Can I recommend Exo Terra vivs for some newts. They are perfect for terrestrials and a lot of the aquatics don,t need a large depth of water. I have several in different sizes and only 3 aquariums. I don,t do partials on the vivs, I strip, clean and reset them regularly. They are light to handle and have good access with the front doors and lift off lids.
Cheers, Jim.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back