Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

• Axolotls are illegal in California. Please read this thread for detailed information and links to the actual laws: https://www.caudata.org/threads/axolotls-are-illegal-in-california-here-are-the-relevant-laws.30779/
  • Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!
  • Welcome to Caudata.org, the Newt & Salamander Information Portal.

We are the longest running community for amphibian enthusiasts on the Internet. Our primary goal is the sharing of information on the maintenance and breeding of newts and salamanders in captivity.

Right now you are viewing our community as a guest. This gives you limited access to our forum and resources. For example, your ability to view conversations in our "Advanced Topics" section is restricted, and guests can view but not respond to "for sale" or "want" ads. Join our free community and get full access, post questions, your own photo albums, message other members, and other features. Registration is fast, simple and totally free so please, click the register link today! Problem? Please use the contact link at the bottom of the page.

For care info, Caudata Culture is the site for you. Axolotls? The Axolotl Site is the best on the net.

How to morph Axolotls

woodsman

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've noticed a few photos of morphed Axolotls in the photo gallery and wondered if there was a specific technique to achieving this. I have a collection of Barred Tigers and I think it would be great to be able to add some Mole Salamanders (especially the albino form!!) to the group.

Thanks a lot, Richard in Staten Island.

b00f

Reaction score
Forcing a axolotl to morph is not something ANYONE on this forum condones

A morph'd axie is simply either:

1. Bad water conditions. - the axolotl will morph to escape from these conditions.
2. Gentic Mutation.
3. the "Axolotl" isnt a Axolotl, and possibly a tiger hybrid.
4. USe of hormones - special hormones are injected/digested by the animal, which over a period will morph it

Please, do not force your animal to morph, a morph'd axie is a rare occurance, and more often than not, they do not survive.

All i can suggest is to maybe find a morph forsale (good luck to you)

Think of a morph as a freak of nature, from a freak of nature :D

ianclick

Reaction score
In a word

"DON'T"

Im with boof axolotls that are induced to morph invariably have very short lifespans so in another word "WHY"

woodsman

Reaction score
In a word

"DON'T"

Im with boof axolotls that are induced to morph invariably have very short lifespans so in another word "WHY"

I'm a little confused. Are you trying to threaten me with this word? I thought this was an informational forum intended to help people who are new to Axolotls (me) to better understand the husbandry of keeping such animals. There are about a thousand better ways that you could have made this comment than by threatening someone you don't even know. I feel sorry for you.

I am a biological researcher by profession. So the only word we know how to ask (and are trained to ask) is "WHY". So that's "WHY".

woodsman

Reaction score
Forcing a axolotl to morph is not something ANYONE on this forum condones

A morph'd axie is simply either:

1. Bad water conditions. - the axolotl will morph to escape from these conditions.
2. Gentic Mutation.
3. the "Axolotl" isnt a Axolotl, and possibly a tiger hybrid.
4. USe of hormones - special hormones are injected/digested by the animal, which over a period will morph it

Please, do not force your animal to morph, a morph'd axie is a rare occurance, and more often than not, they do not survive.

All i can suggest is to maybe find a morph forsale (good luck to you)

Think of a morph as a freak of nature, from a freak of nature :D

Thanks for the good information. I didn't realize that this was a controversial subject and am very happy with the (aquatic) state of my Axolotls as they are (photo attached). I thought if this was commonly practiced and "ethical" to perform, I would give it a try. Now I'm glad I know better.

Take care, Richard.

Attachments

• IMG_3016.jpg
    IMG_3016.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 11,845

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Richard.

There was no threat mentioned or implied.

I do not understand why anyone would want to force a physiological change resulting in a shortened life span/quality of life, on an innocent animal, That for me, is the WHY?

Over time many people have posted here thinking that forcing an axolotl to moprh would be a neat idea. I am simply saying its not. Its not even a good idea.

So my apologies if the brevity of my reply has left you feeling disenfranchised. It was never my intention.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am a biological researcher by profession. So the only word we know how to ask (and are trained to ask) is "WHY". So that's "WHY".

You've indeed stepped into a hot topic. On the one hand are the people who feel it's wrong to alter an animal in a way that shortens its lifespan. On the other hand are the people who feel the need for the novelty of a different-looking animal in their collection, or who just like to tinker with Mother Nature. Obviously, we try to convince the latter people that the former have some sense and that it might be a good idea to reconsider the project. The topic has come up many times.

As a researcher, you have access to better resources than an internet forum. There are plenty of published studies containing details on how to force an axolotl into metamorphosis. You can also get assistance from the AGSC. However, your original inquiry was certainly worded as if coming from a purely hobbyist standpoint. And thus you received the answer this forum would give to any hobbyist wanting to morph an axolotl.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
No need for me to add anything to this since I agree with the advice given.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire... +1