Illness/Sickness: Weird Specks on Axie's Tail/Body

alweare

Reaction score
Country
United States
Got a baby axolotl on the 28th of last month, and I've been noticing some strange white/clear speckled patterns on its tail mostly, but some are showing up on its sides and head. I thought it might have just been something that happens as it gets bigger and grows limbs but it definitely looks too abnormal now. There is a slight greenish tinge on the tail and the feet as well. Could it be a fungal/bacterial infection or ich?

I just removed a cave from the tank that had been building up some slime since I bought it -- cleaned it off several times but it kept coming back. I asked around pet stores and looked online to see if anyone knew of the problem but the only thing they could come up with was either bacteria or algae -- except the slime on the cave was clear/white and not greenish like I've seen described.

The only tankmates I have are a sea snail for cleaning (it or a live plant I put in the tank spawned several more snails), and 4 ghost shrimp. I don't think the shrimp could have caused the axie's problem because I've seen the symptoms before I bought them. I have black Supernaturals Carib Sea sand for substrate -- which the axolotl has no problem digesting if it does consume any.

There are some specks on the inside of the aquarium glass as well, which I mistook for water smudges on the outside.

I've posted some photos to help identify the problem. :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_5016 2.jpg
    IMG_5016 2.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 759
  • IMG_5018 2.jpg
    IMG_5018 2.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 2,143
  • IMG_5021 2.jpg
    IMG_5021 2.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 3,676
  • IMG_5038 2.jpg
    IMG_5038 2.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 496
  • IMG_5039 2.jpg
    IMG_5039 2.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 1,996
Your axolotl is a very pretty little albino, and looks completely normal. The speckles are called iridophores. :D

Your axolotl is a very pretty little albino, and looks completely normal. The speckles are called iridophores. :D

Thank you for your reply! I did notice the same pattern in some adult albinos, maybe because mine is so young and transparent it stands out more? What about the green tinge on the tail/feet? Is that normal or is it a sign of too much algae?

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back