Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axolotl is completely White! Help?!

dudzie

Reaction score
Im cooling my axolotl in a cold room, 11 Celcius, in a container.
i went to see how he was doing, aand he is Completely white (execpt his 'nails')

is this normal when keeping them cold, or should i worry?

the First photo is today
the second photo is 2 days ago

Attachments

• IMG_6525.jpg
    IMG_6525.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1,011
  • IMG_6377.jpg
    IMG_6377.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 950

KingCam

Reaction score
WOA I have never seen anything like that. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that's not good. I could be totally wrong, but that doesn't look healthy to me. I'm new to keeping axies, so wait for someone else's opinion.

Last edited:

dudzie

Reaction score
It wouldn't eat, but after annoying him for a moment, he looks a tiny bit more pink :)

Attachments

• IMG_6531.jpg
    IMG_6531.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 72,508

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
I thought it might be something to do with blood flow 1. as he doesn't have much space to move around and 2. because it's cold! He won't be eating very much because of the cold temperature (it slows their metabolism down). I can't say I'm 100% so keep an eye on him. If his colorings fluctuating, again I'd say it's blood flow.

KingCam

Reaction score
Fascinating. I guess he's fine. I'm new to axolotls, and this one is definitely something I hadn't seen before.

Glad you posted this, now I won't freak out if I ever have to fridge a leucistic or albino axie.

Keep us (me) updated.

dudzie

Reaction score
I put him back in the tank on Friday, and as the water got to the normal temperature, his normal colors came back :)

pic 1 and 2 are from friday, and the last one is yesterday

Attachments

• IMG_6623.jpg
    IMG_6623.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 8,645
  • IMG_6622.jpg
    IMG_6622.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 1,307
  • IMG_6695.jpg
    IMG_6695.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 656

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
I put him back in the tank on Friday, and as the water got to the normal temperature, his normal colors came back :)

pic 1 and 2 are from friday, and the last one is yesterday

Glad to hear he's looking fine and dandy :happy: Has he started eating again? After being in the cold he might not eat a ton so don't be alarmed if he's being finicky. His eating habits should resume as they were in no time.

dudzie

Reaction score
he ate 3 pellets before i put him in the tank, (had him in the container until the water was the same temperature) buut he threw them up..
But yesterday he ate some bloodworms, so i think its all good :)

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
he ate 3 pellets before i put him in the tank, (had him in the container until the water was the same temperature) buut he threw them up..
But yesterday he ate some bloodworms, so i think its all good :)

Great to hear, again the vomiting is normal because of the temperature changing but glad he's fine!

Bdyoung

Reaction score
They will also lose colors in their gills while they're resting. Every other day or so my leucistic does the same thing while she's resting.

SapphireTigress

Reaction score
My golden albino, when shes not active or eating, gets very pale pink gills and is paler than when she is active. When shes active/eating she gets very bright red gills. Her tank is pretty dark, so I've never noticed a body color change, but I'm sure it probably happens :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!