Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: My Axolotl has started holding his tail up? (picture in post)

Dannii

Reaction score
Darwin here is 2 years old and I've noticed that he has started doing this? I know it looks like its resting on his companion in the photo, but I assure you his tail wasn't touching her at all.

Is this normal behavior?

Attachments

• tail.JPG
    tail.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 6,882

HayleyK

Reaction score
Looks like he may be constipated or impacted. Constipation or air bubble makes their bums float.. Monitor his pooping and if it gets serious you may need to fridge

Morrison

Reaction score
I see rocks/gravel in the background. Please get rid of it. It may be that your axie is impacted because of it. They sometimes swallow rocks.
Gravel can cause serious blockages and can make your lotl very ill or it can even kill it.

I prefer sand or just a bare tank.

HayleyK

Reaction score
Remember the photo I showed you? They are very much capable ay swallowing those rocks.. They look like the same size rather than bigger. I see maybe two that are bigger than his head the rest are much too small.

Dannii

Reaction score
Like I said, they are bigger than their heads.

Attachments

• rocks.JPG
    rocks.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,359

Dannii

Reaction score
To get this back on track, I think he only does it around Raven, my other Axolotl. Could it be a mating ritual type thing or not?

I know Darwin is sexually active, but Raven is still too young so I would like to know if this could be a sign?

HayleyK

Reaction score
At the end of the day it's your choice, but believe me no one would suggest keeping rocks, they are unsafe even if they are big (google axolotl impacted X-rays) and as I can see from your pic it harbors food and gunk in little cracks that can be a massive pain to clean properly and can miss spots (I used to miss spots when I thought I did a very thorough clean!)

I used to have large stones too like yours before and I witnessed my axolotl suck one up completely but thankfully she spat it out and that pretty much convinced me to change.

I am unsure about mating rituals but you're right with the age thing.. If raven is a girl and under 1.5 years or under a certain length it's very stressful for her to mate. I know boys occassionaly wriggle/shake around when they want to mate, does he do that?

Dannii

Reaction score
I don't think I've been around enough to know- had a few busy days at Uni and Raven is pretty new to my tank. Shes the same length as Darwin but she would only be 6 months old so I know not to let them- I guess I'll have to keep an eye out for those jelly sack things... I found some in my last tank that He was in before I bought Raven. (I had an Axolotl die recently who was his companion) hense how I know that he's active.

Although, he hasn't done it since the photo now as there is 3 ft of water between the two of them

HayleyK

Reaction score
I am not very familiar with breeding and I've only seen the dance thing once with my first axolotl and he left spermatophores in the tank.. I do know that early egg laying can reduce the lifespan of a too young lotl... Maybe separate them for a while? Or research if there's any less favorable environments for mating? Silly axies, mine do that too one moment they can't get enough of each other then the next they don't even want to know each other for hours :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!