Question: Food Farm Thingy? (I don't know what they are called)

Tjebb

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is it possible to give my axolotl feeder fish and have them breed and he eats them as they produce? So like a farm thingy? What could I "farm" for him? What do you guys do? And can they be in the same tank or no?

My wording is kinda off, I am sorry.

Also, what do you guys recommend to feed an axolotl. Right now Dollar is on a diet of axolotl pellets, mealworms, and bloodworms. The mealworms are a rare treat, and I take the head off, don't worry.

You would need lots of space like 500+ gallons of water to raise fish to feed one axolotl. And fish food costs $30/lb. It is not the best diet. There might be a way to raise enough worms. The cheapest method is probably pellets. If you are spending 2 hours a week doing something you don't like it turns into work. I would love to hear other ideas from people.

I raise Daphnia which great. It is impossible for me to raise all I would want. I have a 3000 gallon tank outside. It is an old horse tank. When axolotls get big enough, they no longer notice them.

You would need lots of space like 500+ gallons of water to raise fish to feed one axolotl. And fish food costs $30/lb. It is not the best diet. There might be a way to raise enough worms. The cheapest method is probably pellets. If you are spending 2 hours a week doing something you don't like it turns into work. I would love to hear other ideas from people.

I raise Daphnia which great. It is impossible for me to raise all I would want. I have a 3000 gallon tank outside. It is an old horse tank. When axolotls get big enough, they no longer notice them.

Thanks! So I won't have the space, as I don't have a big enough tank. Is there any diet you recommend for axolotls? If it is possible to farm worms, that would be nice. I'll look into that, and see if I could do it.
Thank you for the help!

You can set up a nightcrawler worm farm, it's the best diet for axolotls. I don't live in the same country as you but you can usually buy worm farm kits. It also gives you worm juice which is great if you have a garden/plants. Stay away from red wrigglers if you can, some people don't have issues but axolotls will often refuse them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back