Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hyperactive Axolotl running laps

Nitokris

Reaction score
Last week I added a new Axolotl to my tank which has another male in it.
They became friends and hang around together, but the new younger one always starts running along, doing laps from one end of the tank to another. Sometimes the older one tries to follow but gives up. He usually stops and wanders around or sleeps for a bit, but then goes back to doing laps.
Is this normal for a young one? Are they usually this energetic? I've only had my large one since he was 7 and he's always so lazy.

Murk

Reaction score
In my experience, it's a personal thing that depends on the individual. I have an axolotl that is very active - always swimming or strolling, very curious. I also have an axolotl that is a lazy bum and likes to hang around in good spots, only coming out if it gets hungry.
Both are completely healthy, not stressed, good appetite, and that's what matters most.

You could try to facilitate the active one (give it an uninterrupted lane for fast swimming!)

Nitokris

Reaction score
That's good to hear. He has a running lane along the front of my tank, but he's wearing out a little track in the sand and causing a dune :rofl:

Hayleyy

Reaction score
My old ones used to run laps along the front and they made the sand dune too haha

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!