Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Rescue update HELP NEEDED

Axolot420

Reaction score
Hello all, recently i adopted a new lotl (see my previous post detailing my first concern) and she was impacted with gravel from the tank she had been kept in previously, she has been in the fridge for almost 48 hours with no waste, gravel in her container so as I'm pretty sure the gravel is all passed now upon inspection this morning her slime coat seems to be sloughing off, i noticed this slightly before i even fridge her but it seems the stress (from fridging?):confused: or something else is now causing her slime coat to shed and her tail is very curved so she is definitely in distress, prior to fridging i tested my water parameters from her water and the ammonia was very high, luckily she had been moved to the fridge so it gave me time to do a complete water change and put in sand, this morning i tested the water from her tank again and the ammonia levels were still high even after a 100 percent water change as well as putting in new substrate, right now i have her adjusting back to tank temp to be placed in a hospital tank until i can stabilize her tank water, i added fritzyme7 and several live plants to the tank to hopefully help speed up the cycle, any advice on what to do to keep her stress levels at a minimum during this time would be greatly appreciated:eek:

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Good to keep her separate until the tank has cycled again. Keep the hospital tank dark and cool. Change 100% of this water every day so there isn't any ammonia build up. If you notice your tap water has ammonia you can use something like prime as a dechlorinator as it detoxifies the ammonia. You can also look into doing tea baths to help the slime coat heal while hospitalised. Once the tank is set up you can continue tea baths in there or put some indian almond leaves to promote further healing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!