Axolotl throwing up worried for his life!

Luckycharms

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Lucky
I have had my axolotl, Pumpernickel, for a bit over a month, other than mini panic attacks over normal behavior i have had no serious issues with him. He has been throwing up the past few days, he still eats but has become much paler in color and a bit stressed.

Several days ago I noticed that he seemed to be throwing up a bit, the water temperature had gotten very high and I still do not know how, immediately I began to cool the water, I made sure I only cooled it a few degrees every hour or so, I returned it back to 20 degrees celsius, I then noticed he was throwing up much more the next few days, worried it might have been unsafe water levels I moved him to a large tupperware (it is quite long and several gallons) and he has been here the past two days where I give him frequent water changes.

I think that He was throwing up before this, but my memory is bad from being so anxious about him, I fed him a very large earthworm several days ago. It seems that it is still moving in his stomach today as I can see movement, i am extreamly worried he has become impacted and cant digest the worm and I want him to feel better i am fearing for his life right now please help!!!

at this point i am questioning everything it could be and I wonder if the worm he ate was rotting or bad. all I care about is making my baby feel safe and feel better how do I do that?

Thought I'd come back to say that Pumpernickel is fine now if anyone else is viewing this thread. I'm not sure why he was throwing up but I did keep him in a several gallon plastic storage bin that we bought at walmart for several weeks (it was shallow and long enough fo him to be comfortable in), I did daily water changes and made sure to monitor the water which was admittedly very hard to keep low. Mean while I had been saving up for a 20 gallon long tank which we worked on cycling and moved him to after he was out of his tub. I did start feeding him less and haven't had a problem since, however I don't think it was over feeding still. :talker:

Sorry I never saw your original post! But glad everything seems fine now :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back