Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axolotl's tail?

Shadow

Reaction score
The kind of see through bit around my Axies tail had seemed to have got more red line (sort of like veins?). I only noticed it today when doing a water change. She is still eating as I fed her a Worm earlier. Any clues to as why this has happened?

gr33neyes

Reaction score
It might be down to your axolotl moving around more. You have fed her and changed her water. As a result of extra movement the blood is flowing through the veins faster and this flushes the veins with extra blood. The gills usually flush a deeper red too upon extra movement. I can see the veins in my axolotls tail too.

Shadow

Reaction score
Also it seems to be bent at the end of his tail and his gills are facing forawrd and I know this is a sign of stress. I dont know what to do, I've tried changing the water outflow bit a different way and to how it was originally before I did her water change but she is still stressed. I plan on adding another cave on Saturday.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Also it seems to be bent at the end of his tail and his gills are facing forawrd and I know this is a sign of stress. I dont know what to do, I've tried changing the water outflow bit a different way and to how it was originally before I did her water change but she is still stressed. I plan on adding another cave on Saturday.

Hi Shadow,

It certainly sounds like 'water movement stress'.

If just turning the outtake to the wall does not seem to be helping, you may need to also consider using a spray bar as well or placing an obstruction in front of the flow to help diffuse the current.

With a little ingenuity (I can't spell tonight, hope that word still looks correct in the morning lol) you can make your own spray bar with a plastic tube or even a plastic bottle. Just puncture the tubing or bottle with lots of small holes (ensure the holes are big enough to let water through with ease) and attach the device to the filter outtake nozzle (may take further ingenuity to make it fit) and this will break the flow as the water is gently released through the many holes into the tank rather than in a single concentrated jet from the outtake nozzle.

Buying an extra hide will certainly help the axolotl feel more relaxed and secure in his home.

Shadow

Reaction score
That's the thing though. my filter does have a spary bar and I'm facing it kinda upwards at the side of the tank against the glass.

kira

Reaction score
Your axie is very nice. Loved the home movies.

Your right, the current in the water is much too strong. Is there a way you could possibly that a photo of your filter and spray bar so that we can take a better look at it please? I would suggest that until you can slow down the flow you turn off the filter.

By the way, whilst that might be a messing way the feed your axie, it looks like a great way to clean up!!:D

gr33neyes

Reaction score
Right now I would just suggest you give your axolotl more time to settle in, its only been a week, moving house is stressful!

Shadow

Reaction score
Yes, I will post a picture of my filter but it may have to be on Friday seeing as I'm not in College. I will think about turning the filter off, but llike I said, I'm at college till thursday so won't have the time to do a water change :S

Also thank you for your compliments :)

Shadow

Reaction score
Sorry I havn't been able to post my filter yet, but here is some info on it.

On the website it says the filter is 5W 200l/h filter but on other selling the same tank it's a 7W. It says it's a classic power filter.

Here is a picture of it: http://www.swelluk.com/img/shop/original/arcadia-arc-tank-top-image4.jpg

I also have a spare filter that was used in this tank: http://www.aa-aquarium.com/showroom4.php?id=175&level=2

Sorry but I can't find a picture of the filter used so I may have to take a picture of my own when I can, but there might be more info on it in the user manual. I know I was able to change the output on it not much but still something. I judt don't think it would be able to cope with the tank.

Shadow

Reaction score
This is what the filter looks like in the tank now:

DSC00430.jpg

kira

Reaction score
Rise the filter up a little more so that the spray bar is completely out of the water (put about 1cm - 2cm between the spray bar and the water) and point it directly onto the wall. This will slow the current.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1