Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Any idea what killed my Axie?

AxieMama

Reaction score
:( The only hint that something may not have been right is that she had been floating on top of the tank for the last 48hrs. She was still eating - earthworms, mealworms and crickets. A few months ago we had to isolate and treat her for a fungal infection but other than this she'd been in pretty fine form. She had recently lost a lot of weight after laying 150+ eggs but was slowly gaining again.

I have attached a pic of how she looked when I found her this morning...It would appear to be some sort of surface blood cell haemorrhaging (not sure how to spell correctly sorry) I think.

Any ideas?

AxieMama

Reaction score
Well we generally feed each type of food on a rotating basis, so maybe once a week...Trying to upload pic again...

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 14,875

Sam77

Reaction score
I'm afraid I have no idea, but am interested to find out, as I lost one of mine to something similar a month ago. Again there were few signs that anything was wrong, she was floating a little the day before, refused food that day, and had slightly forward gills. Water parameters all perfect and other 2 unaffected. Hubby did a post mortem and found nothing untoward. So sad for both of them :-(

AxieMama

Reaction score
Thanks Olivia. We have another Axie in he same tank, and he seems o be OK, touch wood...

So Sam did yours appear to have all the burst blood vessels as well? What were you feeding yours?

Sam77

Reaction score
Mine have a diet of mostly earthworms, with the occasional bloodworm/pellets. Yes, she looked like a whole load of blood vessels had burst inside of her. I spoke to a vet this morning and he thinks it might be some sort of bacterial septicaemia, but no idea what caused it :(

AxieMama

Reaction score
Sadly we lost Saffron's mate, Space Jam this morning :(.

Like her, he had spent he past 24hrs floating. He was still eating as usual. I went to bed with a bad feeling, and woke up to find he had passed away during he night. Unlike Saffron, he showed no signs of burst blood vessels.

To say we are devastated would be an understatement. The only compensation is the fact that their legacy will live on in the 100+ juveniles I have raised since hatching on July 22nd :happy:

I have started rehoming them, but will keep 2 in their memory.

Still keen to hear if anyone could shed some light on the matter

FX1C

Reaction score
:( that is so sad!
So sorry to hear of the loss of 2 of your axies - knowing you have their offspring is truly a sweet tribute.

Did you test the tanks ammonia & other levels during this time? What were the readings? When you noticed the second one floating did you try fridging him at all? Sorry to ask so many questions - but I'm very curious as to ammonia intolerance with axies.

Chugga

Reaction score
So very very sorry.

We lost my girls ones quite close together when someone left the lid off - not realising I sprayed the room heavily before going out and I killed Jeckyll and Hyde - was many years ago now but needless to say it is not a mistake I would make twice.

Sam77

Reaction score
That's so sad, I'm so sorry. One of my others is on antibiotics as I noticed warning signs and took her to the vet, so I am concerned I will lose her as well. Especially as I haven't managed to get any into her. My other axie died a few weeks ago now though, so it's odd that she's getting sick now.

axotol lover

Reaction score

Like her, he had spent he past 24hrs floating. He was still eating as usual. I went to bed with a bad feeling, and woke up to find he had passed away during he night. Unlike Saffron, he showed no signs of burst blood vessels.

To say we are devastated would be an understatement. The only compensation is the fact that their legacy will live on in the 100+ juveniles I have raised since hatching on July 22nd :happy:

parasites fungus maybe ammonia seem like it to me maybe some sort of infection has to be something that spreads tho for sure
i am not a vet so this is just a assumption not fact

axotol lover

Reaction score
That's so sad, I'm so sorry. One of my others is on antibiotics as I noticed warning signs and took her to the vet, so I am concerned I will lose her as well. Especially as I haven't managed to get any into her. My other axie died a few weeks ago now though, so it's odd that she's getting sick now.
did the axolotl survive im still wondering what this is if this many axolotls have died to

axotol lover

Reaction score

wait im so stupid i think its impaction

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!