Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: My Tank, How Many axies?

Jawdoss

Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my tank. I have two Axolotls in there (Juanita, and Lo). Its a 4 foot, 91 Gallon tank.
I plan to have 4 or 5 Axies in there maximum (Should have plenty of space if you go by the 10 Gallons to each Axolotl) But i have to wait and see what santa bring me ;) if you know what i mean. LOL

Anyways down to the point, I have river rocks as substrate, pots as shelter and I'm using a 500L/H HOB filter. I have a led light in the tank too, but it makes my camera go too dark when i go to take a photo. They seems to be happy going from their 107L tank to their bit 415L tank! Please let me know what you think! :D

IMAG0668.jpg

Please give me some feedback or queries :D Try finding the second Axie LOL

Last edited:

auntiejude

Reaction score
Looks good!
But you will get poop and food under those rocks - I gave up on river rocks after a month as it was a real pain to clean.

HayleyK

Reaction score
Sand isn't hard to clean. If you get a siphon it sucks up the sand and kind of messes it up in the tube and all the small particles of disintegrated food and poop get sucked up. It works fine for me :)

91 gallons is a lot, but is it quite high? I've read and I think told you I would put 1 axolotl per 15 gallon but axolotls need more floor space than height, I think 4 would be pushing it (you'll need a lot of hides + normal floor space) Just my opinion though :) I have a 43 gallon tank (3 foot) but it's quite high, so even though I could technically put 4 axolotls in it, i would only put 3 in max.

I've seen a few posts that now say 1 ft per axolotl, instead of 10gallons as people can get small length, large height tanks and think it'll be suitable for axolotls because technically it's 10gallons but really isn't a suitable living space. I hope my babble makes sense to you.

The tank looks very spacey, to make it more "homey" maybe more plants - my ones love plants! And makes the tank look so much better. And maybe a backdrop? Most LFS or pet stores have a range of backdrops for really cheap and they make such a difference. Good start, though!

Last edited:

Jawdoss

Reaction score
Sand isn't hard to clean. If you get a siphon it sucks up the sand and kind of messes it up in the tube and all the small particles of disintegrated food and poop get sucked up. It works fine for me :)

91 gallons is a lot, but is it quite high? I've read and I think told you I would put 1 axolotl per 15 gallon but axolotls need more floor space than height, I think 4 would be pushing it (you'll need a lot of hides + normal floor space) Just my opinion though :) I have a 43 gallon tank (3 foot) but it's quite high, so even though I could technically put 4 axolotls in it, i would only put 3 in max.

I've seen a few posts that now say 1 ft per axolotl, instead of 10gallons as people can get small length, large height tanks and think it'll be suitable for axolotls because technically it's 10gallons but really isn't a suitable living space. I hope my babble makes sense to you.

The tank looks very spacey, to make it more "homey" maybe more plants - my ones love plants! And makes the tank look so much better. And maybe a backdrop? Most LFS or pet stores have a range of backdrops for really cheap and they make such a difference. Good start, though!

Thanks :) A lot of people have recommended 4 or 5. They said it should be fine. But ill see how i go. IF it gets too crowded ill put it in my other tank :D

layna

Reaction score
Hey :D
Axies should have 1 foot of floor space each.
You might have a lot of gallons in your tank, but if its because your tank is taller, its not much use to an axie :(
With a four foot tank, id only put three axies in there maybe 4 at a max, but you have to take into consideration how much floor space is taken up by pots ect

Jawdoss

Reaction score
Hey :D
Axies should have 1 foot of floor space each.
You might have a lot of gallons in your tank, but if its because your tank is taller, its not much use to an axie :(
With a four foot tank, id only put three axies in there maybe 4 at a max, but you have to take into consideration how much floor space is taken up by pots ect

Yeah, ill stick with 4 then :D I always have a second 28 gallon (2 1/2 foot) tank.

layna

Reaction score
Haha, well at least your covered if you do get problems then, have you thought about making a second level?
Or buying some long flat shower caddies to give them other places to rest if you want to utilise the whole tank?

Jawdoss

Reaction score
Haha, well at least your covered if you do get problems then, have you thought about making a second level?
Or buying some long flat shower caddies to give them other places to rest if you want to utilise the whole tank?

How can i make a second level in the tank. I thought about this in a previous post, but i don't really know how to go about doing it. What would i use, how would i do it? an examples?

HayleyK

Reaction score
I'm still waiting on supplies (partner gets it through his work). Planning on getting two sheets of perspex about the size (width) of my palm, or just smaller. Silicon it in an L shape with two holes drilled into the side panel, silicon suction caps and it should hold :)
Side view of diagram. Hope it works lol.

|
)
|
|
|_____axie sits happily here

) = silicon cap

Or like layna suggested using a shower caddy, like what you put your soaps and shampoos in.

Jawdoss

Reaction score
I'm still waiting on supplies (partner gets it through his work). Planning on getting two sheets of perspex about the size (width) of my palm, or just smaller. Silicon it in an L shape with two holes drilled into the side panel, silicon suction caps and it should hold :)
Side view of diagram. Hope it works lol.

|
)
|
|
|_____axie sits happily here

) = silicon cap

Or like layna suggested using a shower caddy, like what you put your soaps and shampoos in.

Oh yeah, thats a pretty cool idea.

Jawdoss

Reaction score

I am going to the fish store tomorrow. They sell backdrops for $4 a meter for my size tank :)

layna

Reaction score
You could use tall flat rocks and rest a piece of perspex on top of it, you could use large shower caddies/shelves they come with the suction thingies on them or you could go to the extreme and silicone some glass/perspex to the middle of your tank( height wise ) but then thats permanent and you have to let the silicone dry ect...

I got a couple similar to this, but off ebay; BlissHome, Interdesign, Large Suction Corner Shower Shelf, Clear: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

Then just covered them in sand so its more natural looking in my tank :)
I have two on top of each other with a gap for them to sit in and they sit on one shelf each haha :D

Jawdoss

Reaction score
Just a quick update.

I have now added a background, light and more plants :) I am planning to change the substrate over to sand, hopefully soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

EmbryH

Reaction score
The second picture looks muuucchhh better than the first. It's good to give the axolotls a lot of plants and caves to hide in and perch on and such.

Also, as others have said, big ricks can be hard to keep clean. My axolotls seem to try and hide their poop from me, and even though they're on sand it can still be hard to find all the droppings! I can't imagine how it must be with lots of big boulders to hide things @_@

Jawdoss

Reaction score
The second picture looks muuucchhh better than the first. It's good to give the axolotls a lot of plants and caves to hide in and perch on and such.

Also, as others have said, big ricks can be hard to keep clean. My axolotls seem to try and hide their poop from me, and even though they're on sand it can still be hard to find all the droppings! I can't imagine how it must be with lots of big boulders to hide things @_@

Yeah, it takes me about 20 minutes to remove all of the poop under the rocks. So i will change over to sand when i get around to it and ill take the rocks out. I may leave 1 or 2 rocks in there for them to climb on and maybe make a oil cave or something. But i am defiantly going over to sand! Hahahhaha

Jawdoss

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Since added sand, more plants, Bubbler. Looks better and is easier to clean. :) I posted a progress thread in filters and substrate. :)
Thats if you want to look at it. ahahha

:)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!