Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How much food/sleep is too much/little for an axie?

Sweetie

Reaction score
We got Boris 15 days ago from a local aquarium shop, knowing little about axies and having been misled by the shop owner into thinking previous fish-keeping experience would translate. Since the moment I got home and hit the internet, finding this site, it has been a steep daily learning curve. Today's question/s is this: Boris has a voracious appetite. He is about five inches long, and was until recently eating frozen bloodworm cubes - 5 or 6 a day! He has now been switched to earthworms (on the advice of contributors to this site), supplemented by frozen bloodworm cubes. He seems to eat everything he is given, cleaning up every last piece, and is in his feeding corner, waiting to be fed and looking anxious and very cute, much of the time. He eats two earthworms a day (quite large ones) but still wants several bloodworm cubes as well. His belly is still not quite as wide as his head, so I am presuming he is hungry from his time at the breeder/aquarium shop? And that an axie with an appetite is preferable to an anorexic axie?
Also, how much is he meant to sleep - he is in dimly lit hallway with no direct lighting on or around his tank, but he seems to enjoy what light there is and spends most of his time at the front of his tank, even seeking out the lightest parts. Is he just bonding with us or does he like what light there is? He seems to be awake most of the time - during the day, he waits in his feeding corner or wanders about his tank, posing and balancing. In the middle of the night, he swims leisurely laps of his tank. Is this normal?
Finally, I am worried about the water plants surviving in light this dim. (Glass bricks form one end wall of the hallway, facing south, which is the only daytime light in the area. At night, there is overhead lighting but it is not very bright. I need the flashlight on my mobile to properly check the tank for poo.)

kaikoga

Reaction score
Wow, what a hungry axy you have! I think the amount of food generally depends on your axolotl. In my experience sometimes juveniles will eat whatever is in front of them. What is the temp in your tank? A higher temp can make your axolotls have a bigger appetite, and make them more active.

As for sleep, I'm not sure that axolotls sleep in the traditional sense, if anyone could verify this...? For one, they don't have eyelids, but they do seem to enter periods of little movement and "rest." I wouldn't worry about this as long as Boris has plenty of hides. If your temp is higher, that could be contributing to his amount of activity.

What kind of plants are in your tank? I've seen plenty of threads on here about what kind of plants are best for axies (low light and low temp plants).

keiko

Reaction score
Most animals don't sleep the way people do. I would think that for axies hanging out and standing still in their hides counts as "sleeping".

As for the lighting... I think it's a matter of what the axie is used to. I know many people don't have any lights in their tanks and their axies are perfectly happy that way. But mine that are used to having lights actually seem to enjoy hanging out in the light too. In my tank there's a rock cave under a spotlight and often my axies choose to hang out on top of the cave rather than inside where it would be a lot darker. I have two led spotlights in the tank (roughly 4ft) positioned so that there are places with a lot of light (like on top of the cave), dark hides and everything in between so my axies can choose what ever they feel like.

Sweetie

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am gradually reducing what he is offered - don't want to suddenly cut him down the minute his tummy hits the same width as his head, which will be soon!! Today, he's had two earthworms and one frozen bloodworm cube. Boris is probably just a greedy little lotl. My god, he loves his worms. He does everything at a very leisurely pace (unless he's startled, of course), but once he spots a wriggling worm, he moves with incredible speed. He's onto it within seconds. Pounces. Throws his head around. Jumps up and down. It's hilarious.
He does seem to like and seek out the light, so rather than lighting his tank, we've decided to move it to a position where he gets more natural light from the glass brick end wall of the hallway. He does hide behind his rock for resting periods, and he did have a long 'sleep' after yesterday's massive activity levels, followed by a couple of naps. He's back to doing his leisurely laps this evening, though, periodically pausing to wait hopefully in his 'feeding corner'.
I'll keep an eye on his water temperatures, though I'm pretty sure they're fine, as I'm shivering through a Melbourne winter without heating already for the sake of this axie! Greater love hath no woman!! Brrrr.

xxianxx

Reaction score
There is no reason to reduce the amount of food offered to the axolotl, they dont suffer from obesity, the only time I have seen an overweight axolotl was one fed soley on high protein pellets.I personally would discontinue the bloodworm and feed earthworms, they are a better diet.

Boomsloth

Reaction score
I also agree, the fact that he is only 5 inches means that he will still be growing and will need as much nutrients as he can get. My guys get a pretty decent pile of worms and eat their fill. When they get too full they either stop eating or spit out a little bit. I like using live earthworms because the few that are not eaten crawl around the bottom and then disappear over night lol

Sweetie

Reaction score
Boris will be so glad to hear this. He is eating four earthworms a day currently, though would probably like more. I am keeping it at four though, as his belly and his head seem to match and on his current intake, he is not getting any fatter (or thinner). He has grown quite a bit in a month - an inch and a half - he is now 6.5 inches. He seems a very active little lotl, but as his temperature and water parameters are good, I am presuming that is just his nature. He is also incredibly interested in us, spending a lot of time gazing up at us and either swimming or climbing his water plants to get closer. He likes to nuzzle my hand - he doesn't think it's food anymore, as he's stopped biting it. He now just nudges me or rubs against my hand. It's so adorable. Loving my lotl! :D

Sweetie

Reaction score
An update: Boris is putting all those worms to good use. In the three weeks since my last post on this thread, he has grown another inch and a half!!! He is now 8 inches long (20 centimetres). His appetite continues to be voracious, but his belly remains the same width as his head and I am adjusting his daily intake to maintain that. Thanks again everyone for your comments and advice, on this thread and elsewhere on the site. You have helped me (and Boris) a great deal over the past 8 weeks. Much appreciated.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1