Question: How much to feed a juvenile axi?

Twigwise

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Kaniel
I've been feeding my juvenile axolotl roughly half an Omega One Frozen Bloodworm Cube every day, of which he eats about 3/4ths of the amount I give him. I noticed today that he has a noticeable distention of his stomach, compared to how he was when I bought him last week.

He's been pooping normally, his gills look good, and he doesn't seem to be exhibiting signs of stress. He's just kind of round.

How do I know what's the proper amount to feed him? I don't want to feed him too much, and I worry as this is the first amphibian, let alone caudate, that I've ever owned, so I don't know what to really expect.

Hi ya. His stomach should be about the same size as his head after a feed. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back