Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Maa metamorph male in breeding dress

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
One of my less-than-a-year old Maa males decided to go into breeding dress about 6 weeks ago. Out of my 10 Maa morphs I have at least 2 males, but only this one has really developed the crest and the coloration. The other male just has a tiny crest, but they both tail fan their tank mates and have enlarged cloaca's. What I think is funny is that this little guy is only one of two morphs left that still has gill remnants. It's like he's only "acting" all grown up, though I know they can breed this young and Mesotritons can have neotony. At what age do you consider a newt truly neotenic? These guys will be a year old this spring. Here are some lousy pictures of the little fellow

Maa+male+morph+in+breeding+dress.JPG

Maa+morph+male+in+breeding+dress2.JPG

Last edited:

Jake

Reaction score
They're little stunners in breeding dress. I have two males out of a group of 13. One of my females is almost two years old and still has tiny nubs of gills. She had them when I first got her, but they haven't gotten any smaller.

ButtercupSaiyan

Reaction score
So the crests develop during the breeding season? (Please pardon my ignorance on this wonderful species... Google is stingy with specific answers.)

Reaction score
i had a few apuanus in a litter that kept their gills into breeding dress but did eventually loose them completely. im thinking they were a year and a half or even older before they went away

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They're little stunners in breeding dress. I have two males out of a group of 13....
Based on my experience, I would bet the farm that you have more than 2 males. Among the youngsters of this species, there are often one or two who show males traits early on. The other males remain "covert" for the first couple of years. I had several that had me totally fooled into believing that they were females.

brucedickinson

Reaction score
Yeah, I have three m.a.a. (thanks Andrew!) -- one I am definitely sure is female, one I can tell is male, and one is very ???

Last edited:

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Jen, that is very interesting. I think that I have at least 3 males but sounds like my census will not be certain for a few more years. They have also lost all but the smallest "nubs" of their gills.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!