Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Severe impaction from chitin

Natalie

Reaction score
My A. mavortium, Bhima, is bloated, and barely alive now. I foolishly thought I could give him mealworms once a week, and then I left him with a friend for the holidays... I don't know if it's the chitin, if a mealworm is still alive in his stomach, or both. Does anyone know a sally-safe Chitinase (substance which dissolves the tough mealworm shell) which I could either soak him in or drip into his mouth?

evut

Reaction score
My salamanders suffered impaction twice, from wax worms. Leaving the animals in the fridge for a couple of days helped (they excreted the whole worm). You could try this in the mean time. Sorry I can't advise anything better.

Natalie

Reaction score
Leaving the animals in the fridge for a couple of days helped (they excreted the whole worm).

Evut, could you please tell me what the reasoning is behind the fridge? Is there a medical effect the cold will have? It is 9 C outside today. So maybe I put him outside where cooling is gradual and there is fresh air. Thank you for your reply.

evut

Reaction score
I can't really elaborate on why it is beneficial. I think axolotl keepers whose animals ingest something use this method. Someone else can perhaps explain why it helps.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Although caudates don't hibernate, the cold will trigger a purge in their digestive system (as it does in mammals when they prepare to hibernate) and help them pass whatever is causing discomfort.

Outside in a covered container would be OK at 9C.

Natalie

Reaction score
Although caudates don't hibernate, the cold will trigger a purge in their digestive system (as it does in mammals when they prepare to hibernate) and help them pass whatever is causing discomfort.

Outside in a covered container would be OK at 9C.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Auntie!:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!