Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Breeding mavortium ( breeding tiger salamanders )

Tim S

Reaction score
Common John! Every pet genera gets dumped out in the woods or local water ways at some point and time. Its not just cats, dogs, and tropical fish in Florida :mad:.

To stay on topic, I hybridized a three year old A. mavotium female with a wild caught A. tigrinum tigrinum back in 1994. There was one mutant that I raised to adult if anyone is curious to see a photo or two. The other 150 offspring were terminated at about six weeks.

Since I feel that breeding these animals is a privilege that must be earned I'm not willing to share so openly any breeding secrets.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't see how you are contributing anything to this thread Tim. I'm in two minds to delete the post completely. If you've nothing helpful to add to a thread about breeding a species other than "I know how but I won't say" then please don't say anything at all.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to add, if you really want to discuss ethics, then we do have a section for that.

petro

Reaction score
Since I feel that breeding these animals is a privilege that must be earned I'm not willing to share so openly any breeding secrets.

Hoi Tim,
I find this somehow very strange!!
Breeding with our animals is not what we earn,but what we learn from other keepers.
So the only we learn is when others are open about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Petro

Tim S

Reaction score
As John has stated, this is off topic. I realize now that I should have addressed John of my concerns in a private message or in the ethics section of this site.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Ethically: I think tiger salamanders are SO rarely bred that anyone in their right mind would NEVER dump cb tigers into the wild. Anyone who is actually breeding tiger salamanders probably already knows what they're doing, and isn't the type of person to dump them in the woods.

On breeding: Why on earth would someone NOT share breeding techniques? The entire point of this hobby is to provide ALL SPECIES as captive bred specimens, so we can keep them, and view them in the wild without harvesting them and impacting their species. By being secretive about breeding techniques, you're just perpetuating wild harvest of animals.

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
This is a fantastic thread. I had no idea how much progress was being made with this traditionally 'impossible-to-breed' species group!
If Mr. Mamisan has found that captive bred animals are more easily bred (just temp change, without the requirement for pressure change), does this mean that animals raised from wild-collected eggs are more easily bred, too?

With regards to ethics: I doubt that the sort of people who dump pets would be much influenced by the origins of the animal (cb vs. wc).

Chris

henk_wallays

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Well I 'm not gonna dump my tigers anywhere be sure. I only raise a limited amount since I see no reason why I should rear 100 of them. It would take alot of my energy and possibly I would end up with a couple hungry mouths to feed. This year I have reared about 18 and if all goes wel I hope to reset the epxerience next year (unless the 18 remain here... since they are bulky eaters anyway).

The animals I bred with are both wildcaught pettrade animals I took over from people stopping their groups and partly CB animals. The first breeding was done only with the CB groups . This years breeding was a mixture. The 6 extra animals I have gotten in now are bigger then anything I've seen before (so huuuuge !). So we'll just have to see if they are up to it too and maybe/hopefully come back to this next spring

Now we got to be able to breed the other "moles" too .. maculatum already succeeded some times , macrodactlyum and opcaum too so why not with the rest (I'm rearing my lateral to see if can and have some gracile which may be wanting to do so too in a couple of years... thumbs up ;-!)

Jerome

Reaction score
Well I cant want wait to read more about this. I like to try to breed with them next year. I have learned a lot in this topic I must say. So I want to thank you all. I have also talked to some one who breeds also with A.m.m. He said this about it. its a lot we all know all ready but I want to post it anyway.

Ambystoma mavortium breeds in groups. You better put all your animals at once into the breeding tank.
We keep them in winter in the cooler (4-5°C) in plastic boxes. Each by each. In March they will be put out into a cool room (12-15°C) Here they warm up for 3-4 days and then are put into a breeding tank outside. We have no rain at all. But they are exposed to natural weather. It is important to feed them well the year before!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tiger1993

Reaction score
What temperature do you keep them at during the summer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!