Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tiger Juvie not eating

jotarocult

Reaction score
So, I got my first tiger salamander two weeks ago, and he moved to land the same day I got him. I figured, "oh, he's finally good to go." I didn't attempt to feed him too often during the week, but I was starting to get worried because he wouldn't budge when I tried to feed. He would turn his head away, and sometimes he would walk over the food! And now, at two weeks, I'm very worried. I've tried earthworms, dried crickets and wax worms, I think he's afraid of me, too, or stressed, or something. I'm aware that they go off food for a bit when morphing, but is it really two weeks long? I don't want him to starve! If anyone has advice I would like to know what I should do. Thanks!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Could you add some photo's of his home..and some of him too please.
Do you leave food in with him so he can go back to it?

jotarocult

Reaction score
20160324_060314.jpg

20160329_181114.jpg

(ignore the stuffed bear)

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
What type of substrate are you using? The substrate should be a soil type material that allows the salamander to burrow and that has a neutral pH (so avoid sphagnum peat moss). I like to use a 50/50 mix of coco fiber and organic potting soil, about 4-6 inches deep to allow the animal to dig down and participate in natural behaviors like burrowing.

The tiger salamander would also benefit from a low light, low key sort of environment if its not wanting to eat yet. Keeping it cool (65F or under) is necessary, too. Not only are cool temperatures needed for good caudate health, but lower temperatures also slow down the metabolism so they burn through calories more slowly (important if an animal is not taking calories in).

HJ

jotarocult

Reaction score
Well, that picture where he's on the forest moss is when I was switching him to his new tank, which is the image of his enclosure. He's on coco fiber and he's in the stuff all day. It's when I try to feed him that he refuses.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!