Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Worms from fishing shop??

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have used fishing shop worms in the past. If you think about it, they are for people fishing for fish maybe to eat themselves, so if they were poisonous or something, people would get sick.

dennis

Reaction score
I've never actually bought worms to feed but I've had a lot a friends with big fish that swear they were much better feeders than goldfish. I know I got a small catfish n big fish collection and a few axolotls n what not and the main diet here is worms......all summer I use a variety a nightcrawlers, earthworms, and red wigglers from my garden and dirt outback but most the winter everything eats redwigglers. Personally I find a mostly worm diet keeps my animals way healthy and my tanks very clean with lil effort and the plants thrive as well.........the paranoid x file dude in me says there could be some sorta bad chem in store bought worms but honest common sense says I doubt it as mentioned above they are used as bait for fish to consume by humans and as a WHOLE lot suburban fools have learned they don't grow well at all in toxic soil....get ya a big Rubbermaid tub from walmart and start some wigglers............they are an almost bullet proof worm to raise and make excellent fertilizer. good luck and btw after axis get accustomed to eating worms an small snails n natural prey the only problem is they dig up every tank plant if you forget to feed a day or so lol....

peace
dennis

manderkeeper

Reaction score
I've fed nightcrawlers from Walmart. I'd be a little worried about what might be in the soils of a commercial worm farm. I wouldn't sweat it if you just need small quantities, but if you need a lot of worms anyway I'd just set up a couple of 30-50gallon plastic sweater boxes with European nightcrawlers. I'd put 500 in each one. You can switch which one you're feeding out of periodically to make it less likely that you completely deplete your supply. Unfortunately, I did manage to deplete my supplies and now have to reorder, but since they reproduce pretty well it's still an excellent value.

Frizbee

Reaction score
I buy a couple hundred at a time from my local bait shop to feed my freshwater stingrays, fish, and axolotl's and I've never had any issues. I keep them in a large tub with some dirt; take out however many I need and drop them in a shallow Tupperware of tank water for a quick bath to rinse off the dirt and pop them in the tank(s).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!