Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Metamorphed Axy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momo

Reaction score
I have only read of this happening and this is the first time I see the process. It's really majestic because it is basically evolution in front of you... this animal can't be anymore like a pokemon lol but I have also heard as well that when they morph, they tend to be have more health issues. take care of him as I'm sure you are because he's really special :D

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
How cruel. Why on earth would you do that? AXOLOTLS ARE NOT TIGER SALAMANDERS. Many experienced and knowledgeable people would debunk your 'theory', pointing out that unless the axolotl is born with a genetic predisposition to morph, it will be simply unable to do so, meaning that subjecting axolotls to unsuitable conditions in an effort to force them to morph will merely cause them extreme distress and usually kill them. Please reconsider this foolhardy idea. :angry:

Old post, I know, but the person didn't force the Axolotl to morph, it just did on its own. He may have accidentally done something that made it feel obliged to morph, but otherwise, the original poster didn't say anything about forcing it to morph

xxianxx

Reaction score
The post you quoted was not to the OP it was to the post above hers
"I am going to run tests on some wild-morphs as soon as they get older. I have kept many tiger salamanders that metamorphosed when theyre water got very low, I have a theory that axolotls might be able to do the same."
She was correct in her response, the guys a Muppet.

Kochebi

Reaction score
Axolotls are salamanders, so there isn't a difference between axolotl morphs and salamander morphs. Axolotls are Mexican mole salamander larvae.

This isn't technically correct. Mole Salamander is a broad term used for all salamanders of the ambystoma genus, including A. mexicanum (the axolotl), A. tigrinum (the tiger salamander), and a few others. While axolotls are still technically salamanders they are neotenic and no longer exhibit metamorphosis like tiger salamanders for example. Their bodies have generally stopped producing the chemical that induces metamorphsis in salamanders and they therefore never metamorphosis unless under extreme circumstances. So yes, there's the huge difference in that most mole salamanders metamorphose as a part of their life cycle but the metamorphosis of an axolotl is extremely stressful and usually shortens the animal's lifespan dramatically... if it even makes it through the process.

Kochebi

Reaction score
The post you quoted was not to the OP it was to the post above hers
"I am going to run tests on some wild-morphs as soon as they get older. I have kept many tiger salamanders that metamorphosed when theyre water got very low, I have a theory that axolotls might be able to do the same."
She was correct in her response, the guys a Muppet.

I just wanted to let you know your icon image is fantastic.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh no, someone is wrong on the Internet!

This isn't technically correct. Mole Salamander is a broad term used for all salamanders of the ambystoma genus, including A. mexicanum (the axolotl), A. tigrinum (the tiger salamander), and a few others. While axolotls are still technically salamanders they are neotenic and no longer exhibit metamorphosis like tiger salamanders for example. Their bodies have generally stopped producing the chemical that induces metamorphsis in salamanders and they therefore never metamorphosis unless under extreme circumstances. So yes, there's the huge difference in that most mole salamanders metamorphose as a part of their life cycle but the metamorphosis of an axolotl is extremely stressful and usually shortens the animal's lifespan dramatically... if it even makes it through the process.

There's very little separating a facultatively neotenic population of tiger salamanders and the virtually obligate neoteny in the axolotl. Just an inflexibility in hormone levels in the axolotl. I believe Jake's original statement is correct.

E

Elise

So yes, there's the huge difference in that most mole salamanders metamorphose as a part of their life cycle but the metamorphosis of an axolotl is extremely stressful and usually shortens the animal's lifespan dramatically... if it even makes it through the process.

I believe your statements are mostly assumptive. I have a naturally occurring metamorphosed adult axolotl of two years and I wouldn't consider the trigger factors, nor the transition extreme. She continued to eat through the whole process with the same gluttonous appetite. It was one of the many reasons that I didn't suspect metamorphosis until it was fully underway. It didn't fully sink in until she blinked. There is also the fact that she has continued to live fully aquatic despite my efforts otherwise. She seems perfectly content being a newt.

Attachments

• IMG_20160227_002755.jpg
    IMG_20160227_002755.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 6,253

freekygeeky

Reaction score
So some 9 year on, and I'm thinking of owning an axy again, I then remembered my little metermorphed guy, and remembered this thread! I can't believe it's still going!! x

Dace

Reaction score
I just joined and don't own any Axolotls yet, but I found it very interesting that your Axolotl morphed. Whether you meant to do it or it did it on its own is moot, it happened. What I have read is that its very difficult for them to morph. The conditions have to be just right and there are many conditions that have to be met all in a timely manor. I find it wicked interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!