Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tiger Salamander Vivarium Suggestions?

jotarocult

Reaction score
I've had this tiger salamander for a little over a year now, and I want to make him a really nice enclosure, something that I won't have to poke into so often because it seems to stress him out. He's a crazy burrower, so I'm afraid of having the wrong plants placed into his tank

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
The only plant that has survived my tiger thugs is regular ivy. I have a good layer of mixed soil and leaf litter and a couple of places that they can also hide under, on the surface. I've used slate chunks, broken terracotta sections that I have stacked. I have always used a plastic dog bowl with cut away sides as well as my lot like the water, they also hide under it as it is cool....however it is not attractive :( The ivy has avoided destruction in my outdoor enclosures and tubs.
I've thought about joining up some of the plastic pipes that run off roof gutters. I quite like the if idea of a ready built underground maze :D

Rhacodactylus1

Reaction score
My Spotted Salamander thrives digging under a layer of soil, barely covered with dead leaves. If you're afraid of giving your pet parasites, or don't have access to leaf litter, pet store sphagnum moss would likely work nicely. My leaf litter makes locating the salamander a three second operation at most.

jotarocult

Reaction score
I've heard that ivy is a good plant to use, and what I was thinking of using is a piece of broken pot to keep it semi-covered in a corner of the tank. I also don't know what kind of false bottom works best with tigers since they burrow a lot. I want to have the best home for my boy, but I'm always second guessing my ideas

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!