Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cohabitation between spotted salamanders and Cajun chorus frogs

NinjaNewt

Reaction score
So, I have a group of spotted salamanders and I was wondering if I could cohab these with my chorus frogs in a bioactive paludarium. Here’s some reasons that I think I could (I’m not saying that I should do that, I’m just saying some reasons I think these species could work). So, both species are native to my area and live together in the wild and they share a lot of the same habitat as well, another good thing with these two species is that neither of the species extrete toxins (except for the stuff that the salamanders produce, but from my knowledge that just makes them taste bad and doesn’t actually harm anything.) I’ve seen this done with firesalamanders and European fire bellied toads and I think that works because they hang out together in the wild, I’m guessing this will be the same.

merman

Reaction score
Biggest problem is the relative difference in size. The spotties are voracious nocturnal predators and outweigh the chorus frogs quite a bite - er - bit. Because they are in an enclosed container together, you will eventually loose frogs. It might be like saying weasels and bobcats inhabit the same environment, but you know which one will kill the other if given an opportunity. Consider keeping/breeding temporary food animals with the sallie.

juliesr

Reaction score
I do not think the risk of frogs becoming a meal is very high honestly because Ambystoma maculatum are quite fossorial and most do not come out to feed aggressively like tigers. I would say you may lose a frog but I would bet not if the enclosure is big enough with plenty of perches and live plants for the frogs.

NinjaNewt

Reaction score
Biggest problem is the relative difference in size. The spotties are voracious nocturnal predators and outweigh the chorus frogs quite a bite - er - bit. Because they are in an enclosed container together, you will eventually loose frogs. It might be like saying weasels and bobcats inhabit the same environment, but you know which one will kill the other if given an opportunity. Consider keeping/breeding temporary food animals with the sallie.

I thought that the spotted salamander’s mouths would be too small to eat a chorus frog, they can’t eat large crickets.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!