Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ghost Shrimp and FBTs

M

mary

This question may be more suited to the foods forum, but the other ghost shrimp topic there has no responses. Sorry if this is the wrong place (as opposed to being the okay-but-not-choice place) to post this.

Can FBTs be given Ghost Shrimp? What is the difference between feeding ghost shrimp and feeding gammarus (which I've never seen or found anywhere)? Will Ghost Shrimp provide the carotene that gammarus is said to provide? Are there any cautions I should be aware of about feeding Ghost Shrimp to FBTs?

And what about guppies? Do they provide anything good for FBTs? (This has been asked before, but it didn't get a response, that I know of.)

I really am sorry if I'm bringing up old, already answered questions.
sad.gif
Forgive me?

A

alex

hey not sure about it though, but i stick to crickets and mealworms with doses of rep cal

M

mary

All I'm feeding right now is crickets and a few canned mealworms. (The worms are supposed to have been "softened", and so easier to digest...?) I'm dusting the crickets with Jurassi-Cal. I think I've heard of Rep-Cal, but I'm not sure if I've seen it. Jurassi-Cal only seems to have calcium carbonate in it. What does Rep-Cal have? Maybe Rep-Cal has more nutrients and such? Are your toad's bellies red?

Mine were red, but they turned pale yellow and pale orange-yellow. I'm worried that they're not getting what they need to stay healthy.

That's why I wanted to feed Ghost Shrimp. I'd heard that crustaceans have carotene in them, and so are good for color. Ghost Shrimp is the only kind of shrimp my pet store has.

But maybe if I just start using Rep-Cal instead of or along with Jurassi-Cal? Maybe I could rotate them?

han

Reaction score
Bombina feeds on dry "land", the toads are unable to find their (living) food underwater. Feeding guppies, gost-shrimp etc. is rather useless when put in the water. Once offered on "land" though, their movements might catch the toads' attention.

Han.

D

doug

Yeah, I put guppies in with my FBT's hoping the toads would eat 'em. Now I have toads and guppies...
blush.gif

J

jennifer

Regarding belly color, there is a product available called Nekton-Rep-Color, which is a dust-on supplement (vitamins + calcium) that also contains the pigments that keep bellies red. The only place I know that sells it online is blackjungle.com

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1