Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Chat room becomes ghost room

ilovenewts

Reaction score
Why is no-one ever in the chat room anymore?
I sit in there all day and I'm lucky if one or two people drift in for 10 minutes or less.
Please, someone just come in for a little chat.

Last edited by a moderator:

caudatadude28

Reaction score
I often see that the chat is quite baren. If I could I would go in and chat Mikey but my chat ability has been taken away. If the ban lifts I will come in and talk to you!

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
The trend started a few weeks back when a handful of members began abusing the chat room. I personally have been avoiding it due to these abuses.:eek:

caudatadude28

Reaction score
How were they abusing the chatroom? I actually have no idea why I was banned from the room. I didnt use any obsene language, or aggression in the chat room.

ilovenewts

Reaction score
i cant even log into the darn chat room now, i logged out unexpectedly and the chat still thinks im in, they should install that "logged out after 20minutes feature" like the old chat so this never happens :angry::angry::angry: anyways im trying to get a mod to clear me off the chat so i am able to log in but no luck so far :(

Neke

Reaction score
Hey Mikey! I knew you'd miss me if I went away :D I've been coming around lately but nobody has been in chat - I'll start logging in at the same time I used to and you can fill me in on all the gossip :)

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
I Stop in the chat room twice a day for a week at different times and it is always empty. What was everyone banned from chat? No Sharon, no Neke, no greatwhitehunter, no Kaysie, no jaymes its like everyone was abducted by aliens or something.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Oooh, my interest has been tickled...what happened a few weeks ago?

X

Quite a few users were spamming up the room with overly personal rapid fire chat more suited to MSN or Yahoo and the like. This effectively crowds everyone else out of the room.

It is one thing to chitter on about whatever, it is another entirely when one person invites others to join the site just so they can use the chat room...especially when there is half a dozen regular users attempting to actually have amphibian related discussion.

While I enjoy hearing about the weather in Sydney, and whose pug is chewing on what, and what the rain has been like across the North American and European herping zones; I personally do not want to hear about so-and-sos mother's brother's sister's nephew's baysitter's former roommate's affliction of the duodenum...:eek:

caudatadude28

Reaction score
Oh, I see. I dont like hearing about other people's relationship issues either. Lol. I dont remember ever really straying off the topic of herps, so I am not sure why I was banned.

fishkeeper

Reaction score
The last few times I checked in the discussion was not herp related.

Nathan050793

Reaction score
I find that the discussion is usually only sprinkled with herp related talk, unless someone asks a specific question. The majority of the time it is pleasant chat between a few people. Other times it is utter nonsense, at which times I tend to promptly leave.

jbherpin

Reaction score
I always try to solicit some "real" talk about keeping/breeding/etc of sals and newts. But a lot of time either no one has input, or the topic lasts like 2 seconds.... I still enjoy the chat community, but agree, it could use a little more "on-topic" discussions. In closing, the chat has been quite empty, I think the dominance of "off-topics" has indeed kept many away....

-jbherpin-

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1