Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Culturing Ghost Shrimp

H

hayden

I was just wondering how hard these are to breed?...Anything Special I should do to trigger them?... I bought some about a week ago and my Karelinii loved em... how many should I get to have a good Male/Fem ratio...And, last but not least, What should I feed them.

J

jennifer

Hayden, try doing some web searches and please report back with what you find out. I did some searches a while back and concluded that ghost shrimp would be too difficult to culture. But I don't remember any of the details of what I read, so please let us know.

G

garrison

From my understanding they are easy to sex since they are transparent and females are full of eggs. Breeding I guess is not a problem in a large group like they have at the store, females even give live birth to young but..... the young are microscopic and require even smaller food. Apparently the young may actually kill themselves running into the clear sides of an aquarium(so I've heard but cannot confirm). The only success stories I've heard are in heavily planted tanks where young have lots of infusoria and algae to feed on as well as hiding places. Hope this helps
happy.gif

P

peter

I managed to successfully raise two larvae to adulthood, accidentally. They were in a tank with guppies, and there was a pile of rocks on the right side full of hiding places. However, this was one successful incident over half a year of keeping them.

E

edward

There are several articles from some journals (I would offer to track them down but I have too much on my plate at the moment try FAMA within the last 4-5 years in relation to feeding seahorses). In short you need a two tank system. When the veligers hatch they swim to the surface and float there feeding on smaller animals. The adults if they can reach them will capture and eat the larva. (The larva can be fed newly hatched brine shrimp) The tank needs a collection method which transfers the larva to the second tank where they are reared until they settle. Once they settle the small shrimp are transferred back with the adults to grow into food.
It is a lot easier if you have the room to place a bunch in a big wading pool and use a minnow trap to collect out what you want to feed.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!