Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Genetics- breeding for color variation

nina89

Reaction score
Doesn't matter how much I read about genetics I cant wrap my head around it. Can someone dumb it down in the simplest way and advise what color I should breed with my white albino Axolotl so that I have an assortment of colors.

https://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=81547
this is her in the link and a short history on her genetics

Jinians post was almost spot on with the color ratios in the batch. there was only a handful of albinos, lots of wild type and an equal amount of golden and leucistics

If you didn't read the post the white albino I'd like to breed came from a wild type male and either a wild type or leucistic axolotl female, I originally thought wild type in the previous post because I thought my leucistic was a male (he's actually a she).
If you look at the juvi in pic three in the link it looks very much like my axolotl bandit who is a heavily spotted leucistic, I've added a pic for reference.
and the albino is the one I'm talking about when she was a juvenile.

My main questions are.
What colour variation should I be looking for to put with my white albino to have an assortment of colors if
1. parents are both wild type, or
2. parents wild type and leucistic

Attachments

• bandit.jpg
    bandit.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_0175.jpg
    IMG_0175.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 250

Biev

Reaction score
For the most variation, you want to breed your albino with a wild-type. (You’ll get even more variation if it’s a GFP wild-type.)

Bandit is gorgeous!

auntiejude

Reaction score
Unless you know what carried recessive genes they each carry you'll just have to take pot luck.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!