Thinking about getting an axolotl

Bella123

Reaction score
Country
United States
So as the title stated, I’m thier of getting an axolotl. I currently have a ten gallon tank for it that’s cycled.
It’s 10 gallons
A very dim light (that won’t be turned on)
Fine sand for substrate (I had to use a baby brine shrimp net to wash it, my other nets were all too big)
A few rocks that aren’t jagged
Java fern and wisteria as plants
At room temperature the tank is 75 degrees (way to hot)
So here comes my questions:
1. Will an aquarium fan cool my tank enough even with the lid on?
2. If I buy my axolotl as eggs, at what point can I stop feeding baby brine?
3. Will these plants do well?
4. Is there anything I’m not adding? Any recommendations?
Ps. In no way am I going to the store to buy axolotls any time soon. I’ll do more reaserch, and ask more questions. I just figured here was a good place to start.
Pps. Does anyone have pics of thier setups to show?

1- A fan usually drops it a few degrees, so it may bring it down, but I don't think that alone it will work too well. Avoid a lid if you can, as it can trap heat. A mesh lid or no lid (if the water level is a few inches below) can drop the temp. You can look into ice probe/chiller options as well.
2- I haven't raised from eggs so I can't answer this, but you may be able to find info if you browse the forums for a while. Or someone else can jump in and help :)
3- Java fern is one of the best plants for axie tanks as they are fine in the cooler water and low light. It will need some light though and it is okay to leave the light on for a few hours as long as the axolotl has plenty of shady areas to hide in. I'm not sure about wisteria.
4- If you don't have them already get some hides. You can use aquarium decorations (check for sharp bits first), ceramic pots or pvc pipes (among many other options). What kind of filter are you using?
Good to hear you're going to do your research first! I'll link the post where people put their tank setups so you can see. I got heaps of ideas from it! I'll attach a pic of mine too. She's got a couple of shady spots in the pots, and a really dark spot behind the sponge, but doesn't really react to the light.
https://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=75076

Woops, forgot to attach the pic!

Attachments

• 39509526_2023571824361204_6856066211684286464_n.jpg
    39509526_2023571824361204_6856066211684286464_n.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 107
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back