Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Moving Axolotls Together

Sol

Reaction score
I've had my three axolotls for two years now, and got them when I was still living in the dorms at college. As a result, there was a limit on how big a tank I could get (20 gallons) so I divided them between two tanks. Now that I'm living alone, I want to move all three of them into a larger 30 gallon tank, but want I'm worried about potential aggression. If they refuse to live together, then i'll have purchased a new tank for no reason.
Any comments on how to limit the transition stress and hostility would be appreciated!

Also note that the two tanks have been next to each other for the last year, so they're at least aware of each other's presence.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
You shouldn't have too much of an issue with adult axolotls, just keep them well fed, have lights low for a few days, and plenty of hides (1 each plus one, or even 2 each). You can utilise a divider, but axies are known to knock them down. Keep an eye on them, at first they may be active especially if they spook each other since they're used to being on their own.

Sol

Reaction score
Thanks! I was sure to do as much planning as I could but wanted to make sure there wasn't any obvious "if you do this, they'll definitely fight" things I'd forgotten. They're all moved in and seem to chilling with each other now. In a few days they should back to their "only lively when hungry" selves.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1