Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ghost Shrimp and Axie Pellets

G

glen

Hi- I'm having a spot of bother in finding either of these - and i'd like both... Any suggestions/links?
happy.gif

A

amber

I've had lots of difficulty finding 'lotl pellets in the UK, so can't help you on that one - I give mine the occasional treat of soft fishing pellets.

However, contact your local fish store, and ask if they have any glass, grass, amano or caridina shrimp on their order list - all of which are good.
Ring around local stores, you'll find a) the best price and b) the best suppliers.

S

sandra

We bought axolotl pellets from the pet shop when we got our first axie, and while she ate them, honestly, they get all furry really quickly, and so totally choked up the filter it wasn't funny. I had to clean it out and leave it in the sun for a full day, buy new sponge and charcoal etc because I couldn't get the smell out! It was awful.
At the time, I had gravel in the tank, and the pellets were really hard to spot when I fished out the leftovers.
We're on to frozen bloodworms now, but that's proving a bit of a challenge. I think I'm going about it all wrong. I'm trying to get our new one to eat from the bowl, but it's a bit tricky.

M

matthew

pellets wont go fuzzy quickly at all unless you left them there overnight, but the pellets I get dont get fuzzy until after a week (I have an empty 2ft tank now that has a flock of magestic fuzzy pellets, all ready for the great 'muster).

Do you use sand, sandra? The bright orange pellets are dead give aways against a soft yellow.

If I've said anything stupid, forgive me, im in the office, dreaded place of all things unholy and zombie-like.

S

sandra

I have sand now. I haven't used the pellets since I changed from gravel. I've also changed the plants - I think the pellets are really hard to see against gravel, and I think I lost a couple in the plants I had. What I do know is that the filter stunk. I may try the pellets again, now I have put in a food bowl and sand. (Squash doesn't seem to fancy the worms, anyway).

W

wendy

Glen I bought Ghost/Glass shrimps yesterday from Maidenhead Aquatics near Hatfield.

I'm gonna have to go and buy more though, 'cause Gilly ate them all so quickly. I'm even thinking of setting up a ghost shrimp breeding tank.

G

glen

Thanks Wendy!

I'm a fair way away from Hatfield, but i have a couple of days off soon so i'll jump in the car!

happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1