Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Turquoise algae?

TSN

Reaction score
I recently noticed some dark turquoise coloured stuff that seems like algae in my FBN tank..
I've since cleaned tank normally and picked up all algae covered leaves and rocks.

Should I be worried about that strange colour algae? I usually have quite alot of red/brown algae in my tank, but havent seen dark turquoise coloured before..

Lasher

Reaction score
Interesting. Photo?

I know chemical/mineral composition can effect the colour/growth patterns of algae, could there be something unusual in your water?
Theres a lake near a town I used to live in that was used to dump slag and refuse from tin refining in the area(years and years ago). The algae was a really strong dark blue. They also produced alot of blue glass in the area, I always figured the waste was rich in Cobalt and it turned the algae blue.

TSN

Reaction score
I cant take photo now since i took all of it out from there.. And there shouldnt be anything special about water.

But do you think there is anything I should be worried more than about usual algae?

Newts seem to be same as before.. Another one did spend part of a day on cork, but he has done that before too and that algae appeared there few days ago and it hasnt bothered them in any way..

EDIT: And if I didnt know better I would think that it was somekind paint.. it just smoothly covers some leafs around tank like a drop of paint would, so its not like fluffy, feathery algae.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's a photo of blue-green algae (which is actually more closely related to bacteria than algae) on this page:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Tank_critters.shtml
It's not harmful, just annoying. If you get a lot of it, it tends to have a weird smell that you might notice.

When you say you "cleaned the tank normally", what does this mean?

TSN

Reaction score
There's a photo of blue-green algae (which is actually more closely related to bacteria than algae) on this page:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Tank_critters.shtml
It's not harmful, just annoying. If you get a lot of it, it tends to have a weird smell that you might notice.

When you say you "cleaned the tank normally", what does this mean?

I'm not sure that is it thatkind as in picture.. Like I said, it doesnt really have anykind threads, it just clings to plant leafs like paint.

By normal cleaning I mean changed 2/3's of water, scrubbed algae from glass and doing some general plant/decoration maintenance.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!