Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Chemicals in my worms??

Nattles88

Reaction score
Ive been feeding my axies mainly earthworms from my garden which are a bit small and scrawny looking. I was at work today digging out prickles, (I work on a dairyfarm) and when I dug one out I found the juicest, biggest, healthiest looking earthworms I've ever seen. I tried in a few more places and these excellent worms are just everywhere.

Now I know I shouldn't feed my axies any worms that have been subjected to chemicals and whatnot. I know for a fact that the only chemical that is put on the grass is Nitrogen in the form of urea fertiliser, which is only put on the farm a few times a year. And they also get Nitrgoen from the cow poo (obviously)

Is it bad for me to feed my axies these worms?I imagine that the nitrogen can't be in the worms THAT much cus it goes into the plants, but I figured it would be better to ask..

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hello Nattles,

In my opinion, it should still be fine to offer those juicy earthworms. The chemicals in particular to worry about are pesticides and herbicides which appears to not be an issue with the area you dug up the worms. After digging up the worms into a container, you can try ''purge" them by leaving them in some clean water for about 30min before offering to your axolotls.

Cheers

Nattles88

Reaction score
Hooray! Hopefully I won't get any funny looks from the boss when I walk around with a lil plastic bag full of worms in my pocket...

ferret_corner

Reaction score
Um tell him they are a dietary supplement? Maybe he'll pay you more if he thinks you have to eat worms?

Sharon

Nattles88

Reaction score
I'll tell him I'm doing a scientific study on his soil nutrients

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1