Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Help 3 dead & 1 not looking so good out of 9 juvies!

faithywp

Reaction score
Got 9 juvies about a month ago. The day after getting them the albino juvie started floating sideways. Started to look a bit better the next day after eating then went down hill rapidly. After a week of fridgeing no eating and floating she died.

Same just happened to 2 more both refused to eat, and one lost all coloring. Now the problem I believe is that it maybe something they are giving to each other?? I hv a very small juvie that has absolutely no pigment and hasn't eaten separated from the others.

Anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this, or what i could possibly do to provent anymore from dieing???

They hv no substrate bare bottom mid to low 60's declorinated water.

Please help, I'm so heartbroken right now :'(

Thank you for your time.
Faith

Vesp

Reaction score
How much are they disturbed? What is the water like? (Clean? high ammonia? lots of circulation?), lighting? Oxygenated?

What is the size of the tank they are in?

Before floating on their sides, did they have any strange behavior?

faithywp

Reaction score
They are in a long glass container till they bet big enough for a tank. They are barely reaching an inch in length as of now.
Was told to do daily water changes so Ive been doing that on a daily basis when I feed them. Just put a small bubbler so the water isn't being swooshed and disturbed greatly.

Nothing other then the refusal to eat. Then loss of color and then death. The last one who passed didn't float sideways like the two before gin bit lost all color pigmentation even in his gills.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
At an inch long, they should be offered live food. I doubt they've eaten the bloodworms hardly at all. They're probably starving. Try daphnia.

Dr0gr1n

Reaction score
Kaysie hit the nail on the head.

If they are only an inch long they need small live food, BBS or Daphnia. I am assuming they have no legs yet if they are only an inch long.

Bloodworms are way to big for them at this stage.

If it isnt moving they're feeding response isnt triggered.

Once they have legs chopped bloodworms are ok.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1