Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Check my tank and Water Quality Questions!

ElaineSelene

Reaction score
Is this tank ok? I made the stone decorations myself. (except the dock in the corner and the two white plants bases!) Otherwise I took apart the blue plant and put its pieces down on a rock with a "cave" left in the middle of them so my axolotl (when I get it) can hide there. The big rock cave is also designed to break the current from the filter above it (hopefully!)

I don't have anything else to put in there except maybe some more rocks from my collection... Any advice? I'm picking all tumbled, smooth rocks. :)

I realize the plastic plants are not the best idea but they are only there until I can get silk.

ALSO: having trouble with my water readings. Please help?
PH: 7.6 OR HIGHER (it won't read above 7.6)
High Range PH: 8.2
Ammonia: 1.0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm

I put in ammonia detoxifier for now and I don't have any idea what to do about PH unless you think that "Proper PH 7.0" would be a good bet. I own some of that.

Thanks for any advice and help! :)

Right now there is one little fish I borrowed from my boyfriends turtles tank keeping the tank cycled but I'll remove him when the axolotl comes.

Here is my tank photo though:
tank___1_filtered_by_elaineselenestock-d6hg256.jpg

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
With those readings you havent even began to cycle your tank. A cycled tank will have 0ammonia 0nitrite and under 40ppm of nitrate. And this process can take 4-8weeks or longer. One fish will definately not create the ammonia needed to create a stable cycle for an axolotl, i used 17guppies and that still wasnt enough! I would suggest doing a fishless cycle before you get your lotl.

Also if you keep using the ammonia detox you will never get a cycle going in that tank. You need ammonia to create nitrite and nitrite to create nitrate.

And then water changes to get rid of the nitrates.

ElaineSelene

Reaction score
With those readings you havent even began to cycle your tank. A cycled tank will have 0ammonia 0nitrite and under 40ppm of nitrate. And this process can take 4-8weeks or longer. One fish will definately not create the ammonia needed to create a stable cycle for an axolotl, i used 17guppies and that still wasnt enough! I would suggest doing a fishless cycle before you get your lotl.

Also if you keep using the ammonia detox you will never get a cycle going in that tank. You need ammonia to create nitrite and nitrite to create nitrate.

And then water changes to get rid of the nitrates.

Oh. I assumed it was cycled because I had 6 fish in it for 3 months. (I just got rid of them).

Ok. Thanks.

ElaineSelene

Reaction score
Hmm maybe something crashed your cycle? or it died when you removed your other fish? how long was it empty?

I wonder... :( I only removed my other fish 2 days ago. That is how long it was empty for. Oh well. Since it isn't working right I guess I'll drain it, clean it, and start over. :p I bought some beneficial bacteria. (petsmart and petco don't sell ammonia around here.) :confused:

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
You will most likely need to go to a hardware store to get pure ammonia.

And you dont need to clean it and start over, just leave it like it is and dont add any ammonia detox.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!