Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How many amphibians have you had at once in your private collection?

How many amphibians have you had at once? ( including eggs and larvae )

• Total voters

sde

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I was just curious how many amphibians people actually have? This DOES include eggs and juveniles! So give your best estimation.
Post below if you want, with the exact number or whatever is closest. Lets see who has the most! Maybe Ian. But I really have no clue xD So, how many?

P.S. This includes ALL amphibians, frogs and toads too, not just sals and newts.

deliriah

Reaction score
Counting eggs and babies, I'm currently in the 500 - 1000 range. I have a trio of ribbed newts that have not stopped laying eggs since I got them as a Valentine's Day gift. (Finally moved "Daddy" to a separate tank- those ladies deserve a break! >600 eggs total) I also have a batch of around 100 baby axies. Other than that I have the 3 adults as well as 5 juvenile ribbed newts. 2 fire belly newts, 4 eastern newts, 1 adult axolotl, and 1 spotted salamander. Around 716.

Not really sure it's such a good idea to count your newts before they're hatched though!:D

sde

Reaction score
I voted in the 100-500 section. I currently have approximately 211-300. I have 2.3.3 T. granulosa, 1.2.100-150 A. gracile and 0.0.70-100 R. aurora.

otolith

Reaction score
I have 5 T. marmoratus, 2.3 T. dobrogicus and 67 morphs/advanced larvae, 1.1 T. karelinii and ~30 larvae, 4 S.s. gallaica, 2.2 M. a. apuanus and ~60 morphs/larvae, 2.2 Lissotriton v. ampelensis and ~80 morphs/larvae

and then a whole lot more eggs (which I don't count until they hatch :D)

sde

Reaction score
Wow, I'm surprised nobody has voted in the 5,000-10,000+ section yet. I thought there would be some people who had a ton of eggs and larvae from this years breeding season.

sde

Reaction score
Yah, I just did it that way because saying 5,001-10,000 would look kind of stupid :p
But most people don't have the exact number, like exactly 500 or something, so I don't think there will be many, if any people who have trouble deciding which to vote on. :happy:

sde

Reaction score
Haha, OK. I probably need more of that, i obviously take everything too seriously.....and am extremely gullible on the internet ;)

frogman

Reaction score
Here is a better picture of the little girl. She has already taken to the water though.
emuzuhyt.jpg

Seth, I would put some dirt and moss into that tank for the Fire Salamanders. They like to hide. Here is my setup.
hy2y6eme.jpg
y2abe9uv.jpg

sde

Reaction score
Yah I know Evan, it was a temporary setup.

They are now in a setup that is like leaf litter on the forest floor or Germany. I don't remember where they guy said there parents parents were from so I just picked a place that fires sals live in.

It has Alder, Hazel, Oak, and Japanese maple. The Japanese maple looks similar to Acer, so that's why its in there. All those species live in Germany. I might add some fern that live in Germany too, not sure yet. They have woodlice and worms in them for food. Then when they get bigger I will move them to a different setup. Maybe a outdoor enclosure, not sure what I am going to do yet.

They look good Evan! Congrats :)

Last edited:

Margie

Reaction score
Since you're counting eggs, I've gone over the 5,000 mark at least once. Typically I'm more in the 2000-3000 range.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!