Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mysterious Death

littleA

Reaction score
My friends axolotl was doing GREAT yesterday. Nice fluffy gills, active as normal, totally a normal day.

Today she woke up to find her juvie dirty lucy completely WHITE and her frilly gills were completely white on the bottom of the tank.
She did a water change yesterday, as she normally does every week, not even a full change. She did a 50% with new water, as usual. She checked the water too with her liquid test and everything was great! Levels were perfect.

When she picked her out of her tank, and on the way to dispose her, the lotl turned completely red. Like the air turned her red...

She had a 20 gallon to herself, fed earthworms and bloodworms, and everything was was great.

Anyone have any ideas what would make her lotl suddenly die like this? :(

Ellaphant

Reaction score
The only thing I could think of is that your friend might have forgotten to put a water conditioner in the new water, leaving the chlorine in the water.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Chlorine would not kill an axie overnight. It's more likely to be some other contamination or a bacterial infection.

You have to remember that the gill disintegrate quickly after death, so it's not the cause, and pale axies go white too. What is more important is the condition of the axie immediately before it died.

littleA

Reaction score
The only thing I could think of is that your friend might have forgotten to put a water conditioner in the new water, leaving the chlorine in the water.

She didn't forget to treat the water, so is there anything else we can think of?

littleA

Reaction score
Chlorine would not kill an axie overnight. It's more likely to be some other contamination or a bacterial infection.

You have to remember that the gill disintegrate quickly after death, so it's not the cause, and pale axies go white too. What is more important is the condition of the axie immediately before it died.

The lotl had some kind of bacterial issue earlier in the month and was all fixed up after a week of tea baths and tubbing, she was sooo healthy, eating well, weekly water changes and keeping an eye on all levels, water tests 2-3 times a week.

ThisFish

Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is a sudden temperature change when she put the new water in, but I'm not very experienced. I wouldn't think this would kill the lotl but maybe hers was extra sensitive? I'm so sorry this happened to your friend and that I couldn't help more :(.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!