Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl deformity?

L

LadyAmalthea

Hi everyone! I'm trying to find some information on what my little Axolotl baby might have. This baby was the product of a first and only breeding between my almost 1 year olds before realizing I had a boy and a girl. Mom and Dad are not siblings. I removed Yoshi from the general baby population when I noticed she was much smaller than everyone else. She is now 5 weeks and 4 days old. Her siblings are all doing well and growing quickly, and she's still very small and physically different looking. Someone had suggested dwarfism, but so far I've been unable to find any photos of a Dwarf Axolotl as a baby. She eats live baby Brine Shrimp still while her siblings have moved on to Bloodworms, but she eats well and doesn't struggle to swim. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20190924_215548.jpg
    20190924_215548.jpg
    948.9 KB · Views: 797
  • 20190924_215433.jpg
    20190924_215433.jpg
    741.1 KB · Views: 424
  • 20190924_215507.jpg
    20190924_215507.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 432

xxianxx

Reaction score
Its a cull. Most batches of eggs have deformed or weaker larvae. In the wild they wouldnt survive. In captivity they only survive because they get seperated from their siblings who would eventually eat them. Theres a few threads about responsible breeding in this forumn, i suggest you read them.

Kitan

Reaction score
HECK FREAKIN NO.

This is not a creature that will be released into the wild, so you are not messing with natural selection. *SMH* Keep an eye on it and as long as it is eating and performing as an axolotl should (swimming, pooping, ect) with no other obvious deformities that would cause it to have a poor quality of life, you should CARE FOR IT, not freakin cull it. Poor thing.

Keep us up to date on how the little stubblet does :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!