Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White mold on wood

M

menwa

I have a wooden "perch" kind of thing with plastic leaves comming out of it in my tank until i get more live plants, But i just noticed that a film seems to be growing on the bark thats submerged.. The parts at the surface of the water have a white mold growing on it- I have removed it from the water and will soon do a water change. I am worried about messing up the growing bio-filter but i dont want the mold floating around in there even tho i cant see it. Could this be bacteria or was that particular piece just not suitable for the water? Here are some photos:

mold25ny.jpg

mold39zr.jpg

pollywog

Reaction score
To stop your wood going mouldy like that simply immerse it in a bucket of water for 24hrs and allow it to become saturated before placing it in the tank, this will stop mould forming.

M

menwa

Hey i actually did that and its been a few days since i put it back in my tank, and i've noticed the mold growing again. It looks worse that before.
sad.gif

J

jennifer

I believe that the variety of wood you have is sold for terrariums (like for snakes and lizards). Is it grapewood, or something like that? If I recall correctly, it is not recommended for wet setups.

I

ian

It look like Drift wood to me.
I have some similar problem before. I heard burning the wood a little or put it in oven for a while will help. I personally added Flying Fox (Fish ) in the tank. and they ate them all.

I dont know if my situation is the same as your, but maybe helpful information

M

menwa

Hmm maybe i will try that. Im not sure about what kind of wood it is, I think it may be just meant for terrariums thoough. Im more worried about my newts health, as the mold is growing in a thick film now on the bark thats in the water. Anybody? Im gonna clean it off and try baking it and give it another attempt.

M

menwa

Wow, thanks alot you did the dirty work for me haha. Those links were great it will help alot
happy.gif

E

edward

By the way that is sand blasted grape wood. They strip the bark so it will look like drift wood. It does not do well in wet enviroments and typically rapidly begins to break down.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1