Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Marbled Newt Care (Triturus marmoratus)

Socrates

Reaction score
I'm going to be purchasing some Marbled Newts later this spring, but I have a few questions first. I have done extensive reading on care and what have you, but there is still a few gaps I need filled. First of all, I'm probably going to get 2-3 marbled newts and wanted to know what size gallon aquarium would be appropriate? Also what is the ideal temperature for land and water (I have found that mid 70's is fine in summer and upper 60's to low 60's in fall/winter) is this true? Finally, with concerns to the aquarium set up; I am planning to do terrestrial at first then later 50/50. My question with that is what is the appropriate length of time to change from 100% land to 50/50. I've read they mature ~2 years so just wanted to make sure this would be appropriate. Thanks for any help or suggestions given!:happy:

Last edited:

Jake

Reaction score
I'm going to be purchasing some Marbled Newts later this spring, but I have a few questions first. I have done extensive reading on care and what have you, but there is still a few gaps I need filled. First of all, I'm probably going to get 2-3 marbled newts and wanted to know what size gallon aquarium would be appropriate? Also what is the ideal temperature for land and water (I have found that mid 70's is fine in summer and upper 60's to low 60's in fall/winter) is this true? Finally, with concerns to the aquarium set up; I am planning to do terrestrial at first then later 50/50. My question with that is what is the appropriate length of time to change from 100% land to 50/50. I've read they mature ~2 years so just wanted to make sure this would be appropriate. Thanks for any help or suggestions given!:happy:

If you have a pair or trio a 20 gallon long would be appropriate. I keep pairs and trios of adults in 10 gallon tanks, but some people think that's too cramped.

Keeping the temp in the lower 70's is ok if they're if they have land and plenty of cover. In the winter they can be kept below 40 degrees for a few months.

I keep my juveniles fully aquatic, but some people think that it isn't safe because in the wild they'd go through a terrestrial stage. Usually if you keep them terrestrial they'll go to the water at about 9 months to a year.

If they're well fed they should reach maturity around 2 years.

Check out the caudata culture care sheet for them: http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Triturus/T_marmoratus.shtml

Socrates

Reaction score
Thanks man for the pointers, I can't wait to get them in a couple of months! I have one more question for you, the place I'm probably going to get them from is Amphibian Aquatics and wanted to know if you know anything about there reputation? (the guy Peter has responded quickly to my emails and has been helpful) Thanks again!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!