White fuzzy mold?

J

john

Why do I get this white fuzzy mold in my cage? It kinda looks like cotton. It is growing off my Fluker's Moss I get at the pet store. I don't even have any Salamanders in the cage yet. The cage in new.

So what is this stuff guys and how do I make it stop?

I guess that is some sort of Fungi. Just try to remove it manually and clean it a bit. If it come back, repeat the process until it is gone for good.

I agree with Ian. While I haven't personally had firsthand experience with mold problems, I'd imagine it would be hard to completely eradicate without completely sterilizing the substrate and cleaning the entire cage thoroughly.

That's odd. I've never had a problem with pet shop moss getting moldy, except when there's a bit of food or waste that goes bad in there. What else is in the tank (like substrate or whatever)? I'd be inclined to get rid of the moss and find something else to use. Live cuttings of pothos or ivy could substitute.

I setup a temporary enclosure (20 L) for my 3 younger Salamandra 2 weeks ago. As a substrate I used a bag of forest floor something or the other bedding (by Exoterra I believe). I have since found several moldy areas (I try to be fairly meticulous about removing uneaten food and waste). Normally I would have just used regular cypress mulch (that's what this stuff appears to be anyway) however I read on a CP forum that commercial cypress mulch often has other, potentially toxic materials mixed in. I did not want to risk this with the salamanders so I opted for the "sterilized" stuff.
Chip

Thanks guys. The mold has not come back yet. I took out the moss that had it on it. Maybe it was just a bad moss. If it comes back I will take pic's of it and post them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back