Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Are Fire Salamanders Good Tankmates?

SkinksGalore77

Reaction score
Im currently building a new amphibian vivarium and was trying to figure out what kind of salamanders I want to get fot it. I already have a spotted salamander and was wondering if a fire salamander would be a good tankmate for her. Does anyone have any advice?

benw

Reaction score
I would say in short, dont mix species, get another spotted salamander:D

punctata

Reaction score
I am surprised no one has pointed out fire salamanders carry strong toxins and I would say it would kill your spotted. Plus they are from different areas of the world so they would be bad tank mates.. Just stick to same specie to same tank.

benw

Reaction score
I am surprised no one has pointed out fire salamanders carry strong toxins and I would say it would kill your spotted. Plus they are from different areas of the world so they would be bad tank mates.. Just stick to same specie to same tank.

Fire salamanders toxins wont kill other species, simply by being in with each other, but only POSSIBLY if they got into a fight or quarrel over food, and then maybe some salamandra toxin (salamandrin) maybe released, its more distasteful than anything else, but still not worth the risk of mixing with other species.

punctata

Reaction score
I know that, it wont just kill them but my spotteds are agressive feeders and so aare my fire sals. I wouldn't see it working to well at all.

Griffin8891

Reaction score
Just to re-enforce what has already been said, Fires are fine tank mates amongst each other if they have enough space. Don't mix species though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!