Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Injured Axolotl with Severe Fungus Infection

Hynesy

Reaction score
Indian Almond Leaves - click this link -

I just ordered online when i needed them, but this place has a list of places who keep them on online ordering.

Hope all is going well :)

Hi Sally,
They are currently out of stock but I'll swing by the place they have listed at Rocklea. :D

Sally has been out of the fridge for 24 hours now and she's lost a lot of fungus off her already from the tea. The instant I put her in the tea bath it started coming off but she still hasn't eat, it's been 12 days now. :s

Cheers,
Hynesy

SallySalamanda

Reaction score
I would think what you see comming off is more so dead or dying skin that was injured, but at least with it comming off you can better judge her recovery.

I wouldnt stress too much about her not eating, considering that she was in the fridge for most of the 12 days (which is common for them not to eat at low temps.)
Keep encouraging her, or leave some food in the tub for an hour or so before you do the water change......

Im not sure but maybe you could try ebay for the IAL?

Glad to hear its going well, keep up what you are doing if it is working :D

Hynesy

Reaction score
Just an update, poor Sally passed away overnight. :( She battled on bravely but I think the injuries sustained to her neck and chest (which were hard to see in the photos) may have eventually got her, or hunger. Big lesson learnt for us and we're ready to move forward with Axolotls, we'll be getting another one after extensively researching this site.

Thanks for all the help everyone!!!

Cheers,
Hynesy

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1