Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Gender and age estimation?

Danimorse

Reaction score
Hi there, bought my axie in June/July 2013 where I was told she was born January ish. I'm unsure if this is true as she seems small for over a year old. I'm also assuming she is female but I would appreciate second opinions! It would also help to get an opinion on whether she looks healthy! Can never be too careful with my beautiful baby :happy: thanks in advance!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 479

auntiejude

Reaction score
She looks good. How big is she?

If she's over a year old you should be able to make out whether she's a girl or not - can you get a pic from the side? Looks female from above, but from the side would confirm it.

Geckogal

Reaction score
If she is around a year old, I would say female from the pictures.
A male's "bulge" would be more obvious by then.

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
My adult female is only 9 inches if it helps :)

Certainly looks female to me, no bulge.

Sweetie

Reaction score
At what age does the male's swelling start to appear? Is seven months too young? I really am convinced from the view of my albino axie (Boris) as he swims to the surface with his tummy facing the front of his tank that Boris has a very distinct swelling beginning under and just behind/between his rear legs. He also seems to have the body shape of a male (as far as I can ascertain, based on looking at dozens of albino axie pics on this site). He is only about five inches long - perhaps half an inch longer (haven't measured him exactly yet) - but could that be because he is not a large lotl or was not eating much in the weeks before we got him and/or is in fact older than the seven months he should now be, according to the aquarium shop owner where we bought him? :confused:

auntiejude

Reaction score
Males have a BIG bulge - we're not talking a little swelling , it's more like MUCHOS COJONES!
7 months is a bit young to be certain, and body shape is by no means a definite indicator. 5" is small, but reasonable for 7 months, 8" or 9 months is considered the earliest you can sex an axie.

Sweetie

Reaction score
Ok. Looks like I'll just have to be patient then, but I really am convinced Boris's cahunas are just starting to show - it is a definite bulge, it's in the right place and it seems to be gradually getting bigger. And yes, if I am right, they will indeed be big.
If he is actually a month or two older than seven months, then he must be TINY at five inches or so - would that account for his seemingly endless appetite? Today, he has eaten three earthworms (thanks for that advice!) plus one bloodworm cube (it was raining so heavily when I went to give him lunch, the freezer was as far as I got - I gathered a few extra worms this afternoon, in storage for tomorrow). Only one of the earthworms was a little Boris-sized one - the other two were pretty big (long, anyway), but he handled them like a pro - quickly, decisively and viciously. HE LOVED THEM.
Also got the dechlorinating solution today - the anchorworm thing has terrified me. Still have to find an appropriate test kit that covers ammonia - any tips there?
Again, I so appreciate your time in giving me so much helpful advice. I am so keen to learn whatever I need to so that Boris has a happy life. (Or Natasha, perhaps. But he looks like a Boris...)

auntiejude

Reaction score
Until fully grown axie usually eat every day. I'd say 3 worms plus bloodworms was a bit excessive, but if you watch his width and adjust accordingly you should be OK.

A master test kit is what you need, any brand but API is popular. It has several bottles of reagent, some test tubes and colour cards. Read the instructions carefully.

Sweetie

Reaction score
I'd say 3 worms plus bloodworms was a bit excessive, but if you watch his width and adjust accordingly you should be OK.

I have stopped the frozen bloodworm cubes and he is now getting 3 worms a day. I am gradually reducing his food, in the expectation that his tummy will soon be the same width as his head, at which point I don't want to suddenly drop his food intake overnight! I plan to look for smaller worms (cannot bring myself to cut them in half!) and/or reduce him to 2 worms a day over the next few days. He may just be bored, I think ...

A master test kit is what you need, any brand but API is popular.

Thank you for that - the API Freshwater Master Test Kit it is - asap. Boris is already in the dechlorinated tap water, as per your advice.

xxianxx

Reaction score
I have stopped the frozen bloodworm cubes and he is now getting 3 worms a day. I am gradually reducing his food, in the expectation that his tummy will soon be the same width as his head, at which point I don't want to suddenly drop his food intake overnight! I plan to look for smaller worms (cannot bring myself to cut them in half!) and/or reduce him to 2 worms a day over the next few days. He may just be bored, I think ...

Why reduce the food ? If thats the amount of food it wants just keep dropping the worms on him, obesity is not a problem for axolotls. Young axolotls have a very high growth rate, they go from 5mm to 15-23 cm in the first year of life so will often eat a suprising amount , food consumption will fall off when they hit adulthood though females will start to eat more before and after egg laying.

Boomsloth

Reaction score

My axolotls went from eating half a cube of bloodworms each to eating a good amount of earthworms each. The largest is about 7" now and is rounding up but I wouldn't consider her overweight. They eat as much as they can and as long as its a balanced diet, you shouldn't see any weight issues. Fat axolotls are usually caused by either being fed the wrong diet or some form of organ failure/illness.

Why reduce the food ? If thats the amount of food it wants just keep dropping the worms on him, obesity is not a problem for axolotls. Young axolotls have a very high growth rate, they go from 5mm to 15-23 cm in the first year of life so will often eat a suprising amount , food consumption will fall off when they hit adulthood though females will start to eat more before and after egg laying.

Agreed. January they were 2-3" grew at a steady pace until about two weeks ago when they started to grow about an inch at least more.

Sweetie

Reaction score
Why reduce the food ? If thats the amount of food it wants just keep dropping the worms on him, obesity is not a problem for axolotls.
I have no idea how many worms Boris would eat if I just kept giving them to him :eek: but I would be interested to find out. So would Boris, no doubt. :grin:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!