Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Reccuring fungus

Dialariel

Reaction score
Hello so, for some reason my lotl, Juniper, has recurring fungus. Everytime I think I've nipped it in the bud for good, it comes back.

I clean the tank daily, and immediately if I see any lotl dirt.

The tank is cycled. My tap water has a .25 ammonia count, which is the only thing. I do have a little trouble keeping the nitrates down, so instead of once weekly, I do a water change twice a week. I am in the process of procuring more live plants to help, as I've at current only five moss balls and three nanas mixed with several silk plants. There is zero nitrites, and I use Prime to de-chlorinate. There is not a lot of flow in the tank; I have a fluval canister with a spray bar and the filter turned low, the plants do not move.

Juniper eats earthworms daily, as my lotl is still young, at most 5-6 months. I soak them for a bit before my lotl gets them. I have IAL also in the tank.

The tank is bare bottom; there used to be sand but I removed it at the first sign of the fungus returning in the chance it was living in the sand. It is 3 foot, and there is no other lotls with Juniper.

Does anyone have any idea? Could it possibly be the nitrates? Should I start doing three water changes a week? I'm a paranoid lotl mama that just wants her baby to be okay. As a note there was an injury to the gill(s) a month or so back before it took off. I rearranged the tank to avoid a repeat. The fungal patches are small and on the gills.

I do use liquid test to test the water.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 40 ? - Hard to tell because the API 40 and 80 look almost the same
PH: 8.0 - 8.2 - I have mopani wood in the tank to naturally lower this because my tap water has high PH

Tested just before posting as I'm doing a water change.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: Forgotten to add that the tank temperature stays between 64º and 66ºF.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!