Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: My tiger is morphing and has light grey spots on his face, bacteria or is this normal?

Wyvell

Reaction score
Hello all,
Toothless is well on his way to morphing now but a while ago I noticed light colored patches on his face and one on his Rami (gill stalks) I was worried this may be an infection so I have been treating him but now that I know he is a tiger salamander that is morphing and not an axolotl, Im not sure if these patches are normal. pictures below

Cloppy

Reaction score
For an unknown reason, I cannot open your image. But how large are these spots? Tigers do have grey spotting alot. Also the spots are usually circular and placed at a more or less same distance from each other.

Wyvell

Reaction score
Well, he has one over his mouth that doesn't really have a shape. It extends up over his nose. The on on his Gill looks a bit circular but his stomach is almost white. His feet are light colored too. I'm worried this may be a bacterial infection.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
If you right click on the link, the picture opens, but it is not very clear. Could you add some more photo's please ?

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
from what I can see I would guess their is nothing wrong with it.

Wyvell

Reaction score

The picture I posted before was really warped for some reason so I cropped it. Maybe this one will be better
The light colored splotches around his mouth are what have me worried.

Cloppy

Reaction score
It might be fungus but I am not sure enough to say for sure, I would wait for more forum members that have more expertise to chime in on the issue.

Wyvell

Reaction score
He still has a healthy appetite and his morphing continues to progress. I am doing large water changes daily because his water level has been lowered to accommodate his morphing process. he looks a bit better today. I will continue with salt baths. He is also a bit skinny (and has been since we got him) so I am feeding a mix of jumbo blood worms, red wigglers and wax worms. With an occasional addition of beefheart. He has gotten much stronger (particularly in his legs) but he still looks a bit slim. Any suggestions on what I can do to help him out?

Wyvell

Reaction score
Ive been continuing with salt baths but handling him to do so has made me mildly ill. I must be sensitive to the toxins he is secreting

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!