Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Possibly Axolotl Gas Blockage???

TubularTree5892

Reaction score
Tonight when I was in the middle of feeding my axolotl, I noticed his rear end was stuck higher in the water than the rest of his body. I’ve heard that sometimes they swallow air and release it later but I’m just wondering if this is synptoms of an ailment that I should be worried about. He still showed interest in his dinner (bloodworms) and his cloaca seems to be at its normal size and I have found evidence he is still relieving himself. Anything helps, thanks!

Reaction score
Re: Possibly Adolotl Gas Blockage???

I wouldn't worry to much about it. As long as your axie isn't constiantly floating, he will be fine :) Certain foods or certain axies are more prone to making air bubbles in the guts, which causes floating, but the bubbles will eventually pass. I would keep an eye on him anyway for the next couple days though just to be sure he isn't constipated. If he starts floating constantly, to the point where if scared he can't swim to the bottom of the tank then I would fridge him.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!