Newt eye infection

D

dana

I have a fire belly newt that has an infection in one eye. It had what looked like a cut above its eye when I got it and the area appears worse. Is there something I can put on it or in the water to help? Also I keep my newt in the tank with my small map turtles, is it ok to put turtle doctor in the water with the newt in there?

Hi Dana. First of all, I'll just tell you that I'm not certain about what to do for your newt's wound, but I'll direct you to the treatment article in a minute.

The first big deal is that news shouldn't be kept with other species, especially not turtles. I understand that your turtles are small, but so is the newt. Even if everything seems fine now, it's very doubtful that it will stay fine. The turtles could seriously injure (or even completely eat) the newt, among many, many, other dangers.
Here is a link to the species mixing disaster where you can read stories that start out, "Even though everything seemed fine for months, then this happened!"

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Mixing_disasters.shtml

And here's the link to wound treatment. I hope someone else can offer you a bit more help on this topic.
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/sores.shtml

Please move your newt to its own habitat!

Hi Dana
I agree with Ali about not mixing your newt with any turtle. If you do not have a tank for your newt. You can put it in some other small container and do water changes every other day.
Also by putting your little newt in a small container by it self you should be able to reduce the amount of stress on it!
I never had a newt with a eye infection so I can not help you there!
Good Luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back