Photo: New substrate and Pics of Kingsley :-)

totallyrad

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I was pretty hesitant about paying 22 dollars for some stupid black sand!
buuut today I finally broke down and bought a 20 lb bag. I still have half a bag left
over so that's good I guess. But I am super pleased with the results.

I took some redish colored sand/white play sand/ and this black sand and mixed
them together and it turned out super great. I was concerned about seeing his
poops on the black sand to remove them (which he started pooping solid now :] yay)
so I thought I'd lighten it up with the white sand and the red sand is just for accent and turned out good.

Also managed to snap some shots of my newest axolotl which I just named "Kingsley"
It seems to fit him :] so hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a girl cause I don't know how
I'll make Kingsley into a girls name haha.

Sorry for crappy pictures, my camera is terrible and it took me like 30 pictures just to get a few good ones.

Last tank is a new 10 gal I'll be putting some tetras in. Currently has a albino cory in it.
and will be heavily planted once I acquire more. Thinking about dwarf hair grass.

And I snuck in a picture of my new white's tree frog :-] he's in a holding tank until I finish getting his real tank set up. he's a cutie pie and has such an appetite.

Attachments

• IMG_0762.jpg
    IMG_0762.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_0766.jpg
    IMG_0766.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_0767.jpg
    IMG_0767.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_0769.jpg
    IMG_0769.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_0770.jpg
    IMG_0770.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0773.jpg
    IMG_0773.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
The black sand looks great. I paid $11 for a small bag of white sand last weekend and another $11 for river pebbles. But hey it gives us such entertainment watching these guys its worth the money. The plants will look awesome once they have grown a bit.

Looking good.

haha thanks! I can't wait to finish the frogs terrarium.

and that's what I thought. Since 80% or more of what I see is the substrate I figured it would
be worth it to have for the next years to come :] I have a feeling my plants will root especially
well in this sand because it's so fine. we shall see. The only problem is Kingsley likes to chomp
the aponogeton all the time but I suppose that's good cause it promotes new growth when i have
to trim them lol..

I would like to find extra large (4-5 inches) unpolished river rock but can't find any.
Any suggestions anyone?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back